It has certainly come to the point in the semester in which there is an overwhelming amount of work, and several of us are unsure of where to even start. From term papers to final exams, it seems impossible to find even a minute to ourselves. Many students feel that every moment must be a productive one, and if not, they will feel like a failure.

One can shut themselves in a room for hours on end to study for an upcoming exam without taking any breaks to get food, to rest or to talk to anyone else; it’s easier to do than it may seem. Despite all of this time dedicated to the course material, it may feel like nothing has been achieved.

The reason for this is that, as humans, we naturally have a very short attention span. A recent study has suggested that since the mobile revolution, humans now have a shorter attention span than a goldfish. Therefore, we can definitely be in the zone for a little while, but after that, our minds tend to trail off, and that is completely okay and natural.

While doing a paper, project or studying for a test, it is highly beneficial to take little breaks and make those breaks as productive as your time doing work. We can hit our stride for a little while, but after it runs out, a short time away from the books is just what we need to recharge. Be careful, though, because too long of a break may do more harm than good since we can completely lose our focus.

It would be wise to use this limited time to maybe grab a quick meal or snack with a friend — you’ll get some food in your system for energy and at the same time, you can get some social interaction. Use the time to talk about something else to get your mind off the assignment, or you can simply vent about all the work you have to get done, if that makes you feel better.

To give your brain a rest, maybe one half-hour episode of a series on Netflix wouldn’t hurt. Beware of the drawbacks of this, however, since one can easily get so hooked to a show that one episode turns into five — and there goes the productive day. Netflix makes it easy for this to occur since the episodes play automatically after each one is over. Let’s save those days for winter break.

Most importantly, the type of rest from studying that I highly recommend is taking a short nap. Every time I say this to somebody, they are skeptical of my suggestion. I have gotten answers such as “When I go to bed, I stay in bed forever so I would struggle to wake up,” and “I can’t waste two whole hours of study time.”

I used to think exactly the same way. Before college, I was never the type of person to take nap, since I assumed it would just make me more tired. However, some friends have told me the wonders of 15- to 20-minute naps, or simply “power naps.”

Instead of grabbing a coffee, research has shown that taking these short naps is one of the best ways to gain energy for at least a couple of hours throughout the day, especially if taken before 1 p.m. According to neurologist Dr. William Winter, this short threshold “prevents you from getting into the deeper stages of sleep, which can leave you feeling groggy instead of energized when you wake.” Conversely, due to this fact, taking a nap that lasts 45 minutes to an hour or more will most likely make one feel more sluggish than they did before the nap.

Taking a very short nap is perfect in our situation. Not only will it recharge your batteries, but it takes up barely any time at all. If you still feel this is questionable like I did, I completely understand, but I urge you to try it if you feel tired and in need of an afternoon pick-me-up. Be sure to set an alarm for 15 to 20 minutes later, and you will not be disappointed.

Whether you are taking a break to sleep, eat or socialize, it is imperative that you do so. Let the longer breaks wait for when we don’t have school, but concise breaks are key regardless of what time it is in the school year. There is no need to feel that you are abandoning your responsibilities. The work will be there when you get back and if you prioritize properly, there will still be plenty of time to get it completed.

Brad Calendrillo is a sophomore majoring in English.