Pipe Dream recently published articles and an editorial about a $2.2 million gift from a Binghamton University alumnus to upgrade the University’s baseball field. It is the largest gift we have ever received to support Binghamton athletics. The donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, loves baseball and thinks enough of the program here to support it at this level.

Contrary to the implication of the recent Pipe Dream editorial, this generous alumnus is among a growing number of donors who support their passions and Binghamton by making large, individual gifts to benefit a variety of programs and initiatives on campus, including academics.

While certain gifts to support athletics are garnering attention at this time, donor support for academics remains strong and continues to grow, as demonstrated by many seven-figure commitments in recent years. For example, one couple added $1.6 million to their previous gift of $1 million in support of scholarships, curriculum advancement and faculty development.

Other examples include:

A $1.5 million gift to establish a geriatric health center near the University’s Health Sciences and Technology Innovation Park. The gift will help the Decker School of Nursing enhance its Elder Services Center and expand learning opportunities for students and faculty.

A loyal School of Management donor has given $1.4 million to endow a professorship, fund scholarships and create facilities for our students.

Total giving of more than $7.6 million from the Dr. G. Clifford & Florence B. Decker Foundation to support the purchase of state-of-the-art equipment, advance research activity and enhance learning in pharmacy, health sciences and nursing.

The priorities and interest of our donors determine how their gifts are put to work on campus. Each year, through the support donors, the Binghamton University Foundation is able to provide over $2.88 million in scholarships to 1,980 students. Last year, $5.5 million was raised as direct support for the seven schools and another $1.8 million for the Binghamton Fund which provides funding to the school and units for their greatest needs.

Our development office works with donors to align their passions with University priorities. We acknowledge that there are opportunities for growth. Increasing private support, particularly from alumni, is essential for the University. In fact, philanthropic gifts and commitments to Binghamton University have grown at more than 25% each of the last two years.

The best public universities have the strongest alumni support. We are a young university, but we are making great investments to grow as a university, including hiring more fundraising professionals, involving more volunteers, and increasing alumni engagement and pride in Binghamton.

An easy way for you to get involved right now is to go online to giving.binghamton.edu and make a gift to the Binghamton Fund. You can direct your support to help a school, college, program or any of the more than a dozen accounts that are listed. The Student Philanthropy Committee is spreading the word that gifts of all sizes matter. With the committee’s help, senior giving participation reached a record high this past spring.

We are open to your ideas. Call me at 607-777-4449 or email jbrosch@binghamton.edu. Join in and make a difference!

Jim Broschart ’92, Vice President for Advancement