I love political debates. There’s something about nerd Christmas that’s so invigorating. From Chris Matthews’ pre-debate “Red Carpet” to the panel discussion afterward, the presidential debates embody a part of our nation’s rich democratic history. Yet, this year, as the country’s fate seems to hinge on three 90-minute segments, I can’t bring myself to turn on the television.

Nor can I bear to bring myself to go on Facebook to see my friends’ own debates and jokes about how they’re moving to Canada. I get angry when Chipotle skimps on guacamole; I don’t know if I can handle an hour and a half of question dodging, buzzwords, accusations, denials and rehearsed quips.

The politically pious individuals who insist that watching the debates will keep me informed must also realize that I can be as informed as I want to be without watching 90 minutes of antics. I prefer to read about the fact-checked version of the debate compiled the next morning.

The fact that Donald Trump referenced his schoolyard feud with Rosie O’Donnell is a slap in the face to every American. I will not waste my time listening to a presidential candidate trivialize our electoral process with his own egomaniacal diatribe about his hurt feelings. This unprecedented embarrassment will only make me more despondent about the United States’ self-inflicted predicament.

Although there is much to learn watching the debates, nothing said by either candidate at this point can influence my decision. I had sworn my allegiance to Hillary Clinton months ago. It wasn’t just Clinton’s impressive résumé of public service and diplomacy that colored my decision, but Trump’s mockery of war hero Sen. John McCain that solidified my vote.

Previous presidential debates were always conducted with a base level of respect. People can’t be expected to take a presidential debate seriously if one of the candidates refuses to. Yes, the debates do warrant laughter, but I much prefer to watch interpretations of the election through shows such as “Saturday Night Live” and “South Park.” At least the humor in those shows is intentional.

While I am abstaining from the debates, I certainly will not abstain from voting. I firmly believe that no matter what people choose to watch or read, all Americans must vote on Election Day. People who say they cannot vote for either candidate in good conscience must seriously reconsider. Abstaining dishonors the legacy of those who have fought and died for our suffrage.

President Barack Obama says it best: “There’s no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter. Realize everything we stand for is at stake. All the progress we’ve made is at stake in this election.”

By all means, get out and vote on Nov. 8. Just don’t put all your faith in the debates.

Kristen DiPietra is a junior majoring in English and human development.