In the past week, I have received messages from four separate friends, all on different campuses, who are struggling with lack of motivation and feelings of hopelessness. This is far from an uncommon occurrence among college students. In fact, these symptoms are often the trademark of something that is quite common among this group: depression.

It is simple to ignore or misinterpret these signs; after all, the stereotype of depression is that of lethargic sadness. Yet, this is simply not the case among many college students. High-functioning depression is characterized by sufferers who may appear to have it all together or hold the perfect illusion of everything going well: stable grades, a busy social life and commitments that keep them working and on their toes.

But behind this facade is an essential truth: we are all human. It is simple to become overworked and over-scheduled in college, where the average lifestyle is characterized by all-nighters spent catching up on missed assignments and work, extracurricular commitments and being stressed all the time. I argue that these factors are the ones that contribute to depression the most: When students are overwhelmed with the responsibilities that cannot be ignored, they are the most vulnerable and susceptible to feeling irritable and exhausted.

Our perception of mental illness is often rooted in the image of a highly unstable person. In contrast, college students are independent, strong and intelligent people. In this era of newfound independence, they may consequently become less likely to seek help. They may feel that the issue is something they can handle on their own or not serious enough to warrant help. Earning an A on an exam can be easier than walking over to the University Counseling Center (UCC). I know I am guilty of saying that everything is fine when I need more support.

In a way, high-functioning depression can be even more dangerous than just the symptoms dictated by its diagnostic criteria. Students, especially those who have perfectionistic tendencies, are more likely to brush off depression as not a big deal or something to handle later.

However, depression is a big deal. A path exists from depression to suicide, which stands as the second leading cause of death among college students, surpassing deaths related to alcohol.

We are ignoring an issue that is literally in front of our eyes. The problem that comes as a result of not giving depression the attention it deserves is a worsening in depressive or anxious symptoms. By not acknowledging that a continuum of mental health and mental illness exists, we are missing a huge percentage of the population. People will not be receiving the help they need and deserve.

Luckily, there is also an important benefit to being a college student: There are several free resources available to anyone who may be struggling, such as the UCC, Decker Student Health Services Center and the Dean of Students Office. While I am not writing this piece to advocate for therapy, it can be very beneficial to take advantage of these services — don’t hesitate to do so if you or a friend needs help.

However, my primary concern of this piece is to inform readers that it is so common: Forty-four percent of college students suffer from depression. It is necessary for everyone to pay attention, recognize it in your friends or yourself and find support. No change will come if we keep ignoring this problem.

Kara Bilello is a sophomore majoring in English.