Student Association: C

The SA has had a whirlwind of a semester. After the first month back from break brought with it a tumultuous series of events, they did their best to minimize damage and recover. An interim president assumed the position after the previous president stepped down, and a speedy election was held for a replacement executive vice president to finish out the semester, all while elections for next year’s SA E-Board were being conducted.

We have expectations for the SA to not only stay afloat internally, but to bring about change and improvement to the student body. It seemed that throughout the semester, only the bare minimum was accomplished. Offices operated, but did not bring about real change. This was a year we especially needed a VPMA to step up and really work with the student body, but it did not happen. The VPP office did work responsibly under a deficit, looking to mediate years of less-than-responsible spending choices and they definitely made strides.

All in all, we finish off the year underwhelmed, if not downright disappointed. But we are looking forward to the incoming E-Board to start fresh and work toward improving BU for students in the coming year.

SAPB: B+

While people might have mixed opinions about T-Pain’s performance, Spring Fling it was a successful event. We applaud SAPB for all their work they’ve done in working toward getting rid of the deficit. We’re glad that the SAPB decided to stick with two well-known acts as opposed to three so-so ones. We hope to see this method continued in the future. This being said, we can’t help but feel that with comedy shows, there should be more outsourcing for options. The SAPB should be reaching out to groups like Binghamton Stand Up and the Pappy Parker Players, to at least get suggestions on who to bring to campus. Options from groups familiar with comedy would certainly be of better quality than College Humor and Creed Bratton, and would come at a much smaller cost.

Gym: D-

Everything we said last semester still holds true. While the equipment is nice, the East Gym is still extremely overcrowded. Trying to go any other time than early in the morning is impossible. There aren’t enough benches in the gym and space is utilized poorly. The Crossfit station takes up far too much space when one considers how many people actually use it. Let’s do BU students a favor and scrap it over the summer so that something useful can be put in its place.

Sports: A-

Both the baseball and softball teams have had strong showings this season. The softball team has already recorded a Division I program-record 33 wins and clinched the regular season America East title for the first time in school history, while the baseball team sits in first place of the conference by four and a half games. The women’s basketball team won a postseason game for the first time since 2012 and the men’s team won its most regular season games since 2010-11. With both teams returning a majority of their rosters, each is set-up for success in the future. The only thing holding this grade back from being an A? The performance of the lacrosse teams. Both had subpar seasons, with each missing the America East Tournament.

Counseling: A-

The counseling center went through changes this semester, as it transitioned from individual counseling to a brief therapy model. This new format was originally met with frustration from the student body, because many felt that they were being shortchanged on services. The reality is that the counseling center does not have enough financial resources to offer comprehensive, long-term counseling, and the changes were a way to best serve the campus community in a large scale. Since the transition, the counseling center has been efficient in meeting with students, followed up with students they have referred to outside counselors to ensure success, and continued to hold walk-in emergency hours for students who have trouble getting an immediate appointment or help.

The counseling center also relocated this year, moving from their conspicuous office right by the main entrances to Bartle and into a large, modern and discreet space above the alumni center in Old Dickinson. The office has two waiting areas, easy electronic sign-in options and comfortable and clean appointment rooms.

Overall, despite a general sentiment, the counseling center has done a great job at playing the hand it was dealt resource-wise. The student body is well-supported.

Dining: B-

This semester, Sodexo has made a number of changes to its offerings on campus, most notably the consolidation of the four residential communities’ Nite Owl into only two locations at Appalachian Dining Center and C4.

We appreciate many of the new additions, including a sandwich and salad bar, a milkshake blender bar and longer hours. We also recognize that many students feel inconvenienced at having to leave their communities in search of a late-night snack.

Sodexo also has converted the unremarkable Wholly Habeneros station into a rotating venue that temporarily serves different foods, including burgers, grilled cheese, mashed potatoes and chick-n-bap. It is no secret that Sodexo is not a high-class dining service, but we like their initiative in attempting to provide new options to students.

However, Sodexo has cut the hours of Cakes and Eggs, one of the marketplace’s most popular stations, so that no longer serves food all night. This is a disappointment to those who had become accustomed to grabbing some breakfast food after a late-night Bartle study session.

It’s clear that Sodexo is trying to improve the on-campus dining experience, but their changes have yet to have any major impacts on dining overall.

Binghamton University’s New “B” Logo: F-

This logo is an abomination. It’s an offense to all people blessed with the gift of sight. There is nothing “premier” or “ivy” about this logo. It is wrong and it needs to be taken out behind the barn and shot. It doesn’t look good on sweatshirts. It doesn’t look good on mugs. Our baseball team looks ridiculous wearing it on their foreheads. Let’s start from the ground up and give this university a logo that it deserves.