Preliminary work began this week as part of a $43.1 million project to reconnect parts of Downtown Binghamton to the riverfront and create more accessible green space.
State and local officials announced last week that the Federal Highway Administration approved the 363 Gateway Project’s final design plan. The project was selected from among various proposals and incorporates feedback from a public engagement process that began back in 2018, according to Gov. Kathy Hochul’s office.
“People across Binghamton have advocated for years for stronger connections to the beautiful waterfronts and vibrant downtown destinations, and with this final design approval now in hand, their wait is over,” Hochul said in a press release. “We are now one step closer to transforming State Route 363 into a gateway that makes the city more walkable, bikeable and accessible, all while improving safety for drivers and kickstarting the next chapter for recreational and economic opportunities across the Southern Tier.”
State Route 363 was built in the 1960s, when the city’s population hovered near 80,000 residents. While easing traffic on local streets, the road “created disconnected access between the City and Susquehanna River,” according to the state’s Department of Transportation website.
The project will include the construction of a half-mile-long nonmotorized path along the Susquehanna River for pedestrians to walk directly to the South Washington Street Bridge and the Chenango River Walk.
The eastbound side of North Shore Drive will also be connected to the northbound Route 363 east of Exchange Street and reduced to one lane.
Another path will connect Confluence Park to the Rockbottom Dam, complete with new sidewalks and refurbished curb ramps.
“By addressing decades-old infrastructure and improving accessibility, this project will be transformative in opening up access to greenspace and our waterfront,” Mayor Jared Kraham said in a press statement. “This gateway project will strengthen connections throughout the city. It’s a historic investment, and I thank Governor Hochul and NYSDOT for advancing this project.”
Running alongside the Susquehanna River, a new walkable path will connect to Binghamton University and the Two Rivers Greenway, a miles-long trail network that runs alongside the Chenango and Susquehanna River banks.
The on-ramp connecting Carroll Street to Route 363 northbound will permanently close as part of the project. Removing Route 363 southbound over its northbound bridge “will bring the roadway down to grade level to eliminate a congested merge point and promote greater pedestrian access,” according to the governor’s office.
Both state and federal funds have been allocated to the project. U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer said in a statement that about $30 million from the 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act was directed toward building “a more seamless connection between Downtown Binghamton and the Susquehanna River Waterfront.”
Crews began removing around 150 trees along Route 363 and part of Vestal Parkway on Tuesday. The NYS Department of Transportation advised travelers to potentially expect possible lane closures from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. until the end of March.
A department spokesperson told the Press and Sun Bulletin that the 363 Gateway Project will result in a net increase of trees in the surrounding area, with more than 370 new trees expected to be planted.
Construction is expected to ramp up this summer and be completed in 2028.
“This is one of the most consequential redesigns the City will undergo in recent memory,” Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo MA ‘84 said in a statement. “I know how much time and effort has gone into the 363 Gateway design process; ensuring an outcome the public will welcome. Improved roadway infrastructure, safer and easier entry into downtown, new green space and waterfront access, is positive news for Downtown Binghamton.”