Mark Lim/Contributing Photographer
Close

Monday marked the 20-year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the College Republicans celebrated the day of freedom with a rally supporting American troops “fighting for freedom” overseas.

“The fall of the Berlin wall is so symbolic of freedom,” said senior history major Alex Paolano, president of the College Republicans, who held the rally in front of the fountain outside Glenn G. Bartle Library. “Sometimes war is the only way.”

The Berlin Wall was first erected by the German Democratic Republic in 1961 as a barrier between West Berlin and East Germany during the Cold War. It stood throughout the Cold War until German reunification began in 1989.

Approximately 10 members of the organization stood around the fountain holding signs that read, “Listen to the Generals” and “Don’t abandon freedom in Afghanistan,” and included quotes from the Declaration of Independence.

“If we [Americans] don’t fight for freedom, who will?” Aylon Pesso said, a sophomore philosophy, politics and law major and member of the club.

In addition to rallying on campus, around 30 active members of the group wrote and signed a large card thanking American veterans, which will be delivered to the Binghamton V.F.W., Pesso said. Red, white and blue ribbon pins were also handed out.

“People often take advantage of soldiers and freedom,” Paolano said. “People in Afghanistan can vote now, women can go to school. America gets a bad rep, seen as evil-doers, but we push values. We are the biggest force for freedom.”

Paolano continued, saying that American soldiers should stay in Afghanistan to combat terrorist groups, cut down opium production and prove to Afghanistan that the U.S. will be there for security.

As the College Republicans held signs, they spoke with Binghamton University students who walked by in between classes. Students had mixed views on the rally’s message.

One passerby, who wished to remain unidentified, stopped and asked, “So when did you serve over there?”

“What does that have to do with it?” Paolano asked in response.

“It has everything to do with it,” the student, who spent 13 months in Afghanistan, replied. “I’ve been there, why haven’t you been? Why are we [American soldiers] there?”

Samantha Mickle, junior German major and vice president of the College Republicans, said that the cause for freedom was twofold.

“I believe that having troops overseas is important for our country, I am very thankful,” Mickle said. “I don’t believe we should pull out until we are finished, not only for our freedom, but for the freedom of the citizens of Afghanistan.”

Another passerby, senior English major Eliot Greene, has views that conflict with the College Republicans. However, he did agree with them on one thing.

“You have to support the troops,” Greene, who identified himself as an extreme liberal, said. “I may not support the war, but I support the troops. Occupation has never worked, ever. The only way to win this war is to figure out the real reason we are fighting.”