Jonathan Heisler/Staff Photographer Ravi Singh, a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, is creating a literary magazine called “The Spirit” to showcase the creative submissions of Hinman College residents.

Hinman College students are teaming together to tune into their creative side.

The residential community will soon start its own annual literary magazine, The Spirit, to feature residents’ contributions, including poems, photographs and short stories.

Ravi Singh, a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, started the magazine.

“I wanted to showcase the talents of students in Hinman and get people aware of the talent amongst us,” Singh said. “Hinman has a lot of people that are artistic and poetic. I figured why not showcase artwork that people from Hinman have?”

Singh said his idea was approved by the Hinman College Council on Sept. 26., after a year of planning.

Four students on the HCC who showed interest in the project are now working with Singh to help make the idea come to life.

Natalie Monroe, an undeclared freshman, is one of the committee members working on the project. Monroe said she is excited for Hinman residents to see the magazine.

“I am hoping that students in Hinman will see a copy of the magazine and think, ‘Wow, this is impressive,’” Monroe said.

To support The Spirit, the HCC allocated a $300 budget to the publication of the magazine. With budget limitations in mind, Singh said he is looking to print about 100 copies to be distributed across the Hinman community.

“I plan on getting the magazine out in April,” Singh said. “But the exact date really depends on how long formatting and printing would take.”

The magazine will only contain entries from Hinman residents.

Singh said that Al Vos, Hinman faculty master and English professor, encouraged them throughout the process.

“Faculty Master Al Vos really supports the magazine,” Singh said. “I approached him first semester and he really helped give me a push to get this going.”

The Spirit staff will host a pizza party for the Hinman hall with the most submissions to the magazine, in hopes that more students will contribute.

Hinman residents said they are looking forward to the magazine’s release.

“I think it’s really cool, my high school newspaper had a similar free opinion column,” said Garrett Pfisterer, an undeclared freshman. “It’s kinda of cool for people wanting to get their stuff out there.”

Mo Bruckner, a freshman majoring in electrical engineering, agreed.

“I’d check it out,” Bruckner said. “There’s a lot of artistic people in Hinman.”