Dorothea Smartt, a famous British-Barbadian poet, performance artist and editor, will visit Binghamton University for a poetry reading on March 13.

Smartt has written two collections of poetry, “Connecting Medium” and “Ship Shape.” Her poetry focuses on themes including self-identity and the place of black people in British history. She has also co-edited a small collection of women’s poetry and has worked on several other projects.

Smartt is also the associate poetry editor for SABLE Literary Magazine, a British magazine for “writers of color,” that allows new poets to demonstrate their skill.

“This gives coming voices the space to show off their stuff. A fair few of poets we featured have gone on to bigger things,” Smartt said.

Smartt has a history with BU — she was invited in the early 1990s by Carole Boyce Davies, a former English professor.

“At the start of my career, during my time at Hunter, I was invited by Carole Boyce Davies to read poetry to her students,” Smartt said. “She recorded the presentation and used it for several years with other classes, and those students are now teaching my work.”

Smartt said she was grateful for Davies’ help.

“She will always have a place in my heart for supporting a young poet and academic,” Smartt said.

Thomas Glave, an English professor at BU, invited Smartt to visit Binghamton this time around and spoke highly of Smartt’s work.

“[Smartt’s] work is fascinating, and should be read by anyone who likes excellent poetry,” Glave said.

Smartt said her poetry reading at BU is not the only reason for her visit to America.

“My main reason for coming to the U.S. in March is to share a panel on contemporary Black-British writing for a convention hosted by [the North East Modern Language Association] in Rochester,” Smartt said.

Smartt said she wanted students who attend the event to take something away from the reading.

“I hope they take away feelings of enjoyment and thoughtfulness,” Smartt said. “I want to make them stop and think in ways they haven’t thought before, and I want them to feel validated, and affirmed of themselves in the world.”

Stephanie Parente, a junior majoring in English, will go to the event because she is interested in poetry.

“I have had a class with professor Glave, and if he likes her, I am excited,” Parente said. “I usually go to the poetry readings on campus and they are always good.”

Glave challenged students to attend the event, and said it was important for students to take a step out of their comfort zone.

“Students supposedly are people with brains, and I would imagine they would be interested in learning about people and cultures outside of their own experience,” Glave said. “Otherwise, why bother going to college?”

The reading will take place at 8 p.m. in Science I room 149 and is free to the public. Smartt is the only person slated to speak at the event.