Shawn Fleming/Pipe Dream Photographer Since the start of the semester, students have been taking advantage of Uber and Lyft, the ride-sharing services that have been operating in upstate New York since June 29.

Since the start of the semester, students have been taking advantage of Uber and Lyft, the ride-sharing services that have been operating in upstate New York since June 29. Uber began operating in upstate New York on June 29, increasing the travel options for Binghamton University students making Walmart runs, going out on the weekends or racing back to Nite Owl.

Ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft became legal in upstate New York after the state’s Fiscal Year 2018 Executive Budget included legislation that modified insurance laws, allowing the apps to operate across New York state.

A predominant concern that has arisen since the legalization of ride-sharing apps in upstate New York is the effect on local cab companies; Ali Waad, the owner of A&B Taxi in the Binghamton area, said he hasn’t seen a change in his business since Uber started because he offers the same perks as ride-sharing apps.

“I’m matching the price with Uber and that’s No. 1,” Waad said. “They’re charging with credit cards or debit cards and I’m doing the same thing.”

Waad, who spoke with Pipe Dream in May about Uber, added that competing with Uber is like competing with any other cab company, and that he doesn’t know of any other cab drivers who have switched to Uber.

Students like Daniel Gadasi, an undeclared sophomore, said they are taking advantage of the additional form of transportation. Gadasi said he prefers Uber over the local cab companies.

“I think Uber is the best thing that’s ever happened to Binghamton — it’s amazing,” Gadasi said. “It is definitely more convenient and I find it to be cheaper.”

According to the rate estimator on Uber’s website, an UberX (which seats one to four people) from Old University Union to State Street in Downtown Binghamton ranges from $10 to $14. If four students split the Uber, the cost would be between $2.50 and $3.50, making it cheaper than a cab company’s flat rate of $4 per person on the weekends.

During peak hours when there is a high demand for rides, though, Uber is allowed to charge extra, creating a price surge.

Alon Levy, an undeclared sophomore, said he uses both Uber and local cabs depending on convenience.

“[Uber and local cabs] are both very efficient and do get to you in a timely manner, so they’re both definitely recommended,” Levy said.

In terms of price surges on the weekend, Levy said the most expensive Uber he’s taken in the Binghamton area was from Hayes Student Living to the West Side on the weekend, which cost him $17.

Danielle Filson, a representative for the Uber press office, wrote in an email there are currently no statistics about the Binghamton area in regard to how many drivers are employed by the company or how many people have used Uber so far.

According to Filson, the top five drop-off points in the area are the Greater Binghamton Transportation Center, Dillingers Celtic Pub & Eatery, The Colonial, the BU main campus and Walmart.