Daniel Jan Walikis served in the Navy, taught for nearly three decades as a history teacher, played in a touring band with his brother Joe, and, most notably in the Binghamton University community, hosted a unique radio show on WHRW for more than two decades.

The European Ethnic Melodies Show, which aired from 7 to 9 p.m. every Tuesday, had fans in the Binghamton area and around the world, according to members of WHRW’s staff.

Walikis passed away on Monday, Feb. 13 at 71 years young. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Rosemary Walikis, two sons, one daughter and one granddaughter.

Known as “Dan Jan” around the WHRW station, he will be remembered not only for his popular radio show, but also for his complementary personality, immense kindness and genuine concern for the well-being of others, according to WHRW General Manager Ryan Naru.

Dan Jan graduated from Johnson City High School before pursuing higher education at Broome Community College and SUNY Cortland. In 1977, he received his master’s degree in education from BU.

Dan Jan began hosting his radio show almost 25 years ago in 1988, when he dropped off his son, a BU student, at the WHRW station. According to Naru, Dan Jan’s son asked his father to get involved because of his interest in music. The rest is history — Dan Jan was an irreplaceable member of the WHRW family until his death.

Naru said Walikis prided himself on never having missed a show. On the rare occasions he could not host the show live, Walikis made sure it always aired.

“Dan was committed whole-heartedly to his show,” Naru said. “Whenever he wasn’t available, he would pre-record a show and make sure someone was there to air it. He affectionately called it ‘Dan-Jan-in-a-can.’”

He also served as WHRW’s alumni relations director and had previously served as the public affairs director. But Naru said Walikis’ role at the station went much deeper than his title.

“Dan was in many ways a father or grandfather figure at the station,” Naru said. “He offered rides to DJs in need, fixed broken furniture and gave sound advice when you asked for it. For me and most station members, losing Dan has been like losing a close member of our family.”

Dan Jan’s Lithuanian and Slovakian heritage featured prominently on his weekly show, and many of his selections were eastern European polka or Euro-American multi-ethnic folk songs.

Dan Jan called it “life force music,” which he believed could slow the aging process, according to Sam Riedel.

“He was convinced he could heal people with his music,” Riedel said. “Positivity was a beneficial force, and he made that a reality.”

WHRW has yet to fill Dan Jan’s Tuesday night show on the station’s programming schedule.

“We’re still working on filling his slot,” Riedel said. “The last thing we want is to rush into a decision. We’re going to continue running clips of his old shows for the next few weeks and playing call-in requests, and we’ll have a proper memorial show with production values after that.”

In 2008, BU honored Dan Jan with an XCEL Award for outstanding multicultural programming for his show, which has fans both in Binghamton and worldwide.

According to Riedel, fans tuned in both on their radios and by streaming the broadcast on their computers. Fans would call in and send Dan Jan emails about how much they loved his show.

“When his show was pre-empted by a basketball game, listeners would call in asking if Dan would be on following the game,” Naru said.

To commemorate his life, WHRW is planning a tribute program in collaboration with Dan Jan’s family that will air either in the summer or the beginning of fall.

To those who worked with him, Dan Jan’s attitude, teachings and views live on despite his passing.

“What he did embodied a way of thinking and behaving that we all looked up to,” Riedel said. “He was a beacon of the best the station could be. Not a shred of selfishness or ill-will in him; I can’t think of anyone he actively disliked. He didn’t operate like that.”