Jonathan Heisler/Staff Photographer Ryan Naru, a senior majoring in economics, speaks with recruiters at yesterday’s Job and Internship Fair. The fair took place in the Events Center where recruiters from 61 companies and organizations set up booths to speak with students about potential careers.

The Career Development Center hosted the Spring Job and Internship Fair yesterday in Binghamton University’s Events Center. Recruiters from 61 companies and organizations set up booths to speak with students about internship and job opportunities.

The CDC hosts a fair each semester. According to Eileen Bauer-Hagerbaumer, assistant director for employer services at the CDC, the fair in the fall semester is usually bigger than the one in the spring because of the timing of hiring by companies.

Employers at the fair ranged from big-name corporations like Goldman Sachs to non-profit organizations like Teach for America.

Sabreen Jafry, a sophomore majoring in finance, said she thinks the job fair is tailored to students in the School of Management.

“Even as an SOM student, I feel as though there could be some more variation in the type of companies that come to these events,” Jafry said. “It would be nice to see companies that deal with media, advertising, fashion and things like that.”

Bauer-Hagerbaumer said she understands that the opportunities available seem limited to one type of student. However, she stressed that with some research, students of any major can find an opportunity at the fair.

“You need to know what you are looking for,” Bauer-Hagerbaumer said. “Will there be law firms and newspapers at these events? No. But there will be big companies who have legal departments, and there will be companies who need someone to run their public relations or human resource departments.”

Bauer-Hagerbaumer told Pipe Dream that around 40 percent of all employers who attend the fair are looking for students of any major.

Saurabh Mantri, a recruiter for Bloomberg L.P., said that while the company is mainly seeking students with a background in computer science, there is a demand for students in the company’s human resources department, which also had recruiters present.

Lauren Coringrato, executive team leader of logistics for Target, said that she was looking for well-rounded students with any type of leadership skills.

“We are looking for students who show that they can be leaders,” she said. “There is no specific major we are looking for. Sports team leaders, club presidents, are the types of people we are looking for.”

Johanna Sanders, a junior majoring in sociology, said that she noticed more opportunities for Harpur students at this semester’s fair.

“It’s clear the Career Development Center is working to reach out to students of all majors,” Sanders said.

According to Bauer-Hagerbaumer, even if one employer does not have anything to offer, they may take a résumé and pass it on to another employer.

“When you meet people here they remember you,” Bauer-Hagerbaumer said. “Many employers get back to us and tell us that they passed along résumés to places they think could use students here.”

Bauer-Hagerbaumer advised students that the best thing they could do is be prepared.

“Know who is going to be at the fair,” Bauer-Hagerbaumer said. “Research the company or organization you want to talk to. Have questions ready, and know what you want. That is the most important thing.”