After 18 months of renovations, the East Gym reopened its doors to the public this weekend.

The $13.5 million project allowed FitSpace, group exercise and club sports to expand their services. Funding for the project was allocated from Critical Maintenance funds that are part of the current SUNY Master Capital Plan, which are used for maintaining and upgrading buildings and infrastructure.

The renovations were completed on time for a mid-year opening, according to Janice Bennett, associate director of Campus Recreation. This weekend was the East Gym’s grand opening, and was free for students, faculty and staff until yesterday.

The renovations to FitSpace expanded the facility by 10,000 square feet to include 64 cardio stations with Cardio Theatre and more than 70 strength training stations. The space is now equipped with a wellness suite that offers massages and private personal training lessons.

Group exercise classes have “more than doubled,” Bennett said. There are now three multi-purpose rooms available to run three classes at a time. There will be approximately 25 Zumba and yoga classes offered each week, as well as other classes that focus on abs and cardio.

“At peak hours, we can service close to 100 people per hour,” Bennett said. “For that reason, classes are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.”

Prior to the renovations, students were required to reserve spots in group exercise classes — Bennett said they do not think that will be necessary with the added facilities. They will still allow reservations for spin classes via email at exercise@binghamton.edu.

Prices have increased by up to 50 percent, depending on the type of membership desired. For a “Student Fitness Membership,” pricing for the academic annual year is now set at $180, an increase of $60, and the semester rate is $100, up from the former $65 fee.

Bennett said the complaints that she has received about the increased costs are from people who have not yet seen the finished facility. She said she has not heard any complaints from people who have come to see what is now offered at the East Gym.

“The difference in the price of the membership fees is proportionally less than the increase in equipment, group fitness classes and access students have to things,” Bennett said.

Some students are impressed with the new gym, but are not sure whether they will purchase a membership.

“I really enjoy the large exercise room because it’s organized and will always give you a good workout,” said Todd Epstein, a junior majoring in environmental studies. “I don’t like that it’s going to cost $100 for membership, so I don’t know if I’m going to join yet. However, the quality might just override the cost.”

Jennifer Hertz, a sophomore majoring in accounting, said it was unfortunate that she already bought a full-year membership to Planet Fitness.

“I think the new gym is really nice and if I didn’t already buy a full-year membership at Planet Fitness, I would totally join the campus gym,” Hertz said. “During the free week, I took a Zumba class and absolutely loved it.”

Bennett added that Campus Rec has made a commitment to replace the cardio equipment every three to four years, in compliance with industry regulation.

“This way, the equipment is not only new today, it’ll remain new for future students,” Bennett said.

Bennett said that Campus Rec staffers are pleased with the renovations, although they are still getting acclimated to the space.

The pool, which is dedicated entirely to recreational use, has new floor and tiling, as well as new lifeguard chairs and a First Aid room.

“It’s really great after being ‘guests’ in the West Gym to finally be back home,” said Grace Guy, a senior double-majoring in philosophy and English who has been lifeguarding on campus for two years. “I was amazed at how transformed the pool area is and know the new set up will allow us to better serve students.”

Other instructors like Erica Lynn, who has worked at Campus Rec for three years, shared Guy’s sentiments.

“It looks like a completely different building,” said Lynn, a senior majoring in biology.

The building’s completely new interior is surprising students, according to Bennett.

“People can’t believe how much the inside could be transformed, especially because from the outside, it doesn’t look like much has changed,” Bennett said.

When the East Gym closed, many students joined off-campus facilities like Planet Fitness, a popular gym located in University Plaza.

However, Planet Fitness does not offer group exercise classes or bar bells, appealing features for many students.

“Planet Fitness is terrible now because they got rid of all their bar bells and free weights, and that’s what the majority of guys use,” said Joey Lesner, a senior majoring in accounting. “The new East Gym is really nice because everything is new, and I really like the new cardio section. The Expresso bikes are fun because it feels like you’re in a virtual video game.”

Outdoor Pursuits also received new equipment like skis, snowshoes and hiking packs that are being housed in the renovated East Gym.

“We have a real, permanent home now,” said Jason Houtenbrink, a senior majoring in industrial and system engineering. “I think this is a solid improvement from where we were at in our temporary spot in the [Old University] Union.”

Houtenbrink added that the new space allows the groups to be more organized.

Bennett said opening week and the new facility in general features the theme, “Come Play.”

“It encapsulates what we’re about,” Bennett said. “People come voluntarily to do what they want and there’s something for everyone.”

Gym hours, group exercise schedules and open recreation hours are available at the gym’s website.