Hundreds of SUNY study abroad programs in more than 60 countries will be showcased from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. this Friday in the Mandela Room.

The Study Abroad Fair will provide students interested in studying abroad with the opportunity to speak with representatives from different SUNY schools, as well as Binghamton University students who have studied abroad, according to Katharine Krebs, vice provost for international affairs and director of the Office of International Programs (OIP).

“If a student is interested in studying in Italy, for example, they can talk to all the different people representing programs going there and compare [the programs] to find one that’s right for them,” Krebs said.

Krebs also suggested that students take advantage of study abroad advisers from OIP at the fair, who will provide information about scholarships and financial aid offered to study abroad students.

Henry Shapiro, a junior majoring in economics, attended the study abroad fair last year. He said the representatives helped him understand credit transfers and informed him about the global studies minor available to students.

“I found [the fair] very helpful,” Shapiro said. “It was very easy to go from there to the [study abroad] application process.”

The global studies minor is a 24-credit program that students complete both at BU and while abroad. The minor is made up of a combination of foreign language or internationally themed courses, as well as an online seminar students complete prior to their study abroad trip and a global studies capstone course they take once back at BU.

Jon Rosado, a senior majoring in English who studied in London last semester, said he would “absolutely recommend” studying abroad to students with “any interest.”

During his time abroad, Rosado said he explored London during the week and traveled throughout Europe on the weekends. During his three-and-a-half month stay, he was able to visit Amsterdam, Venice, Rome, Barcelona, Paris and Canterbury.

Rosado believes the best part of studying abroad is the “unique opportunity” it grants students to immerse themselves in a different culture.

“If you go on vacation in other countries, you’re visiting as a tourist, but if you study abroad, you’re living there,” he said. “It’s totally different than visiting for a couple of days.”