Thanks to the time she spends as executive vice president of the Student Association, tour guide and employee of the Roberson Museum and Science Center, Jenna Goldin doesn’t get much one-on-one time with her pillow.

She has to balance her EVP office hours, jobs, class schedule and social life — a juggling act many college students run into.

When forced to cut something out, sleep may be the first to go. Many college students are struggling to catch some z’s and often find counting sheep a thing of the past.

“Sometimes I only get five hours of sleep a night,” Goldin said.

According to Tammy Martin, a physician’s assistant at United Medical Associates Sleep and Diagnostic Center in Binghamton, five hours is usually not enough.

“Some people can feel good at five hours, but in most it can cause fatigue, which doesn’t allow you to function properly,” Martin said.

Though some students may be night owls or force themselves to stay up late cramming for a test, Martin insists that they should at least practice good sleep hygiene.

“Sleep hygiene means having a good diet of sleep,” Martin said. “This is productive sleep, not being broken up with a nap here or a nap there, but being able to say, ‘OK, I’m really going to sleep and turn off my phone and computer.'”

Attaining this vision of sleep may be a nightmare for some, and for the sleep-deprived, the choice between a shower and an additional half hour of sleep may not be so clear-cut.

But a lack of sleep does not have to be an excuse to show up for class looking like the most recent castoff of “Survivor.”

By following these quick, easy tips, you’ll be turning heads across campus faster than you can say “sleeping beauty.”

GOOD LOCKS AND THE BEARCATS

Goldin has natural curly locks, and on a time crunch she will leave the waves and use products by Aveda to tame the frizz. However, if she has 10 extra minutes, she will put in the effort to straighten her brunette cut.

She has used a CHI ceramic flat iron for six years.

“I feel like it gets better with age,” Goldin said. “It’s like wine, it’s true. I love it.”

Jackie Onysko, a cosmetologist and four-year veteran of White Rose Day Spa and Hair Salon in Binghamton, said washing hair at night can be a time saver.

“When they wake up they can straighten it, curl it or just leave it natural without having to go through the whole process,” Onysko said.

If there is just no time to wash your hair before class, try baby powder or dry shampoo. Sprinkling a little in your hands and rubbing them together before applying to overdue tresses will make a hairstyle look brand new.

And never underestimate the power of hair accessories. Onysko suggests throwing a headband on for a little variety or creating a Pocahontas-like side braid to forgo the bad hair day blues.

TIME TO MAKE UP

When you’ve reached the point where the bags under your eyes should have TUMI stamped on them, there’s no need to jump ship. A little concealer can do the trick. Just dab a few dots under each eye and rub with the ring finger to achieve a natural glow.

Goldin’s go-to product is her eyeliner.

“If I have no time and I can only pick one thing, it’s always eyeliner because if I don’t wear it, I can look like a corpse,” she said.

Onysko suggests using an enzyme peel from Arbonne to look a little more alive.

“It’s a nighttime treatment mask,” Onysko said. “It makes your skin moisturized and when you wake up in the morning you’re glowing.”

The appeal of this mask is that there’s no waiting. Instead of having to put it on and take it off within a certain time frame, it works through the night as the skin goes through its repair mode, leaving a vibrant, refreshed feeling throughout the day, according to Onysko.

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL

Snow White said true beauty comes from within. So even though products may cover up some effects of little sleep, radiating from the inside will help you light up Binghamton University’s grayest days.

To stay healthy, Martin suggests doing what you can to ensure a good diet and exercise routine.

“Even with the stresses of school, you definitely need to have a good diet,” she said. “Even as little as 20 minutes of exercise a day is better than none whatsoever and is just one of those things that will decrease stress.”

Goldin, who is a vegetarian, runs to keep in shape. She also takes a tap class, which she said is a great way to incorporate exercise into her class schedule.

And to add a little more sunshine to your facial expression, Onysko suggests some deep breathing and stretches in the morning.

“This will get your blood pumping and put some color in your face,” Onysko said. “It’ll keep up your natural flush tones and help you feel better.”