The age of the internet has changed international business by connecting individuals across the world but turning a local business into a global one is a challenge that requires collaboration.

On Nov. 14, Binghamton University and members of the local community came together in the the Engineering and Science Building of the Innovative Technologies Complex to address global entrepreneurship at the Second Annual Global Trade and Investment Forum of the Southern Tier.

The event, hosted by the Center for International Business Advancement, focused on discussing globalization, its impact on businesses and providing companies with resources for going global. The forum provided time for questions from the audience, as well as for conversation and debate between attendees regarding the global economy, the impact of the recent presidential election and the steps that the federal government should be taking to support business ventures overseas.

A lunch and networking session followed which allowed speakers and attendees to interact and ask each other additional questions regarding globalization and the growth of international business.

Numerous representatives from Southern Tier businesses were in attendance, hoping to gain information about the resources and opportunities available to them when exploring globalization opportunities. Speakers included several prominent New York businessmen, such as Alex Deyhim.

Deyhim is the president of Advanced Design Consulting, a global company based in Lansing, New York, and his company designs and supplies complex scientific instruments and technologically advanced laboratory systems for clients in over 26 different countries.

“The beauty of globalization is the diversity,” Deyhim said. “For our company, going global provided stability, because we weren’t putting all of our eggs in one basket.”

Mitchell Ferguson, acting director of the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, also spoke at the event. Ferguson works in the Office of Bilateral Trade Affairs, which plays a key role in global trade relations and helps develop and negotiate trade agreements. He discussed the global economy, current trade partnerships and gave an overview of U.S. trade policy, which under President Barack Obama’s administration has emphasized opening export opportunities through trade agreements.

“A lot of the questions that business owners and representatives asked during earlier presentations really feed into what we do at a federal level every single day,” Ferguson said. “I love entrepreneurship and I’m in awe of people who take their money and put it on the line to build a business.”

Yihong Yao, a first-year graduate student pursuing a master’s degree in business administration, said that she was hoping to learn more about the global economy and wants to solidify her own plans for the future.

“I am from China, and I want to see the opinion of the Binghamton community [on] investment [opportunities] overseas,” Yao said. “I also want to decide if I should pursue job opportunities at a global company or a local company when I finish my degree.”

Upinder Dhillon, dean of the School of Management at BU, said he attended to support the conference and represent BU in the community.

“Globalization is a huge trend,” Dhillon said. “There is no local U.S. company anymore, and part of this forum is designed to encourage companies to globalize and provide them with the resources they need.”