Student Association President Jared Kirschenbaum delivered his State of the SA speech Thursday at the Student Assembly meeting, which was rescheduled from Monday due to inclement weather.

Kirschenbaum focused on the accomplishments the executive board has completed throughout the year.

He mentioned Off Campus College Transport’s growth and credited Adam Shamah, vice president for finance, for handling procedures to “sustain and secure the longevity of the corporation.”

He also included the doubling of late night service of OCCT buses, something Kirschenbaum promised in his campaign last year.

Kirschenbaum also credited the Student Association Programming Board with creating high-quality events with high attendance such as Dr. Ruth and Frost Fest.

“Our SA Programming Board is the best I have seen in my four years here,” he said. “The leadership and creative talent on SAPB is unmatched and I look forward to an extremely successful spring semester of programming.”

Daniel Rabinowitz, vice president for academic affairs, has also seen success in publishing the results of SOOT surveys and seeing “significant traffic” on http://www.mybingprofessors.com, according to Kirschenbaum.

He said that the SA has been a more cohesive body than in years past.

“We’ve gotten off to a slow start, but I know that next semester we will be in great hands,” he said.

Kirschenbaum took a break from the words on paper to talk not only about the effectiveness of the SA this year, but also the need for improvement.

“In the past I’ve seen a lot of legislation that is improving the campus,” he said. “I’d like to see more of that because that’s our job. The SA assembly is supposed to improve campus and improve the collegiate experience here.”

One of the improvements Kirschenbaum is working on is a bike sharing program. He plans to have a meeting with a company from Canada, but the overall outcome will depend on funding.

Other plans include smaller improvements such as adding a doorknob on the door of the union by the bus stop.

“A lot of the stuff we dealt with came up as the year went on,” Kirschenbaum said. “It’s like a game of basketball, you don’t know what you’re going to do, but it’s about being in the right spot at the right time.”

This includes the situation with Phillip Calderon. Kirschenbaum said he is proud of the way the SA handled the situation.

“As leaders we took care of business. Like a test, we can’t really look back,” he said.

Kathryn Howard, a junior majoring in political science and chief of staff for Kirschenbaum, said the SA needs to work on its image in the next semester.

“[The SA] can continue to do all these projects behind the scenes, but they need to help students realize it’s the SA that’s doing it,” she said. “We do the work but things don’t come off that way all the time.”

The Judicial Board was the last point of Kirschenbaum’s speech in which he mentioned the difficult procedure the SA is going through in “advertising and procuring quality candidates.”

“I do feel that it is important that we have a strong Judicial Board and have been putting in strong effort to ensure the quality of its members,” he added.

Prior to the speech the SA listened to and voted on two potential J-board candidates.

Kevin Fischer, a freshman majoring in chemistry, was approved for the board. Nicholas Jacobson, a junior majoring in history, was not.

As the academic vice president of Newing College, Jacobson was involved in the process of filing the Newing election grievances earlier this semester.

Though the Judicial Board selection process is still not complete, the SA hopes to have a full board in place by the beginning of next semester, according to Howard.

Howard, also a student assembly representative for Mountainview College and chair of the student outreach committee, said there are a lot of applicants Kirschenbaum has not brought forward yet due to the semester’s end.

Regardless of the lack of a complete judicial board, the assembly continues to test applicants on their knowledge of judicial laws and incurred long debates on the candidates’ potential.

“Any candidate that goes before the assembly will get the same kind of questions,” she said. “It’s to make sure solid candidates get onto judicial board.”

According to Danielle Kutas, a Newing College assembly representative and sophomore majoring in management, not everyone will agree on the Judicial Board candidates, which creates a lot of debate, but the debate is important.

“We are now one step closer to a full Judicial Board, which is ultimately what we need,” she said.