Gone in a Flash

THURSDAY, Oct. 27, 3:40 p.m. — A 22-year-old male reported a stolen black camera bag containing a camera and three lenses missing, said Investigator Patrick Reilly of Binghamton’s New York State University Police. The victim reported that he had been studying in the Great Room in Mohawk Hall of College-in-the-Woods from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. The victim said that he took a break from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., however, he stated that he knew everyone in the room during this time and he did not believe any of them would have taken the bag. The victim told police that he believes it was stolen after 11 p.m., when he mistakenly left the bag behind at the end of his study session. The victim checked the Mohawk Hall lost and found and the UPD lost and found, but he did not locate his camera bag. The case is still under investigation.

Well That Sucks

SUNDAY, Oct. 30, 12:25 a.m. — An officer conducted a vehicle stop and found an occupant in criminal possession of a controlled substance, said Reilly. The vehicle, a Ford Explorer, had a broken taillight and failed to use a directional, so the officer pulled the driver over in Parking Lot Y3. While conducting the traffic stop, the officer noticed an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle and told the occupants to step out. The officer then asked for permission to search the vehicle. While the officer was searching the vehicle, a friend of the driver, a 19-year-old female, approached the officer and asked if she could retrieve her backpack from inside the vehicle. The officer asked her to wait until the search was completed. The female admitted that she had marijuana inside her backpack in a pill container, and was ticketed by the officer for possession of marijuana. Later, while putting the pill container containing marijuana into evidence, the officer noticed a small bag in the container with white residue. The residue tested positive for cocaine, and the female was called to UPD and was arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

Why was This a Good Decision

SUNDAY, Oct. 30, 4:55 a.m. — Officers received a report of a trespass from a female in a suite in Hunter Hall of Mountainview College, said Reilly. The female called the police and claimed that an unknown male was pounding on the door of her fourth floor suite. When officers arrived, the suspect, a 19-year-old male, claimed that he was looking for a friend named Katherine. Officers checked the name tags on the dorms on the floor, but did not see any residents named Katherine, and the suspect admitted that he had gotten separated from his friends in Downtown Binghamton and had been looking for a place to stay. Officers informed the suspect that he could be arrested for criminal trespass, and asked him to find a friend to pick him up and bring him Downtown to stay the night. A friend came and the suspect left campus. No charges were filed.

Blackout While Blacked Out

MONDAY, Oct. 31, 10:37 a.m. — Officers received a report of criminal mischief in Broome Hall of Newing College, said Reilly. A maintenance worker had called police after discovering that someone had smashed out the lights in an elevator. Officers were unable to find any witnesses, but believe that the damage occurred sometime between midnight. A work order has been placed and the elevator will be back in service when it is repaired. There are currently no suspects, and the case is still under investigation.