On Friday, Binghamton University alum Kevin Greer spoke to students about his experience working for the U.S. Department of State as part of the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development’s “Cool Connections, Hot Alumni” series.

The Center and the Alumni Association organized a Skype call with Greer, who graduated in 2012 and studied political science and history. As a member of the Executive Secretariat Staff, his responsibilities at the State Department include working with a team to go over the specifics of Secretary of State John Kerry’s travel — where he’s going to be, how he’s going to get there, who he’s going to see and what kind of press will be there.

After graduation, Greer attended Georgetown University in the District of Columbia, where he received his master’s degree in conflict resolution. During his time at BU, Greer was a resident assistant in Hinman College, as well as a member of the Hinman College Council.

“That was probably one of the most valuable experiences I had, because it’s a leadership position,” Greer said. “What does that really mean? It means that it puts you in a position where other people go to you for advice … I think that’s something I have tried to continue in my career.”

While talking about his journey from BU to the State Department, Greer admitted that a lot was left to chance. He had initially applied to the Pathways Internship Program, a program that helps students and recent graduates start careers in the federal government. Although he was accepted, the organization could not afford to pay him. The program then sent his resumé to the Office of Cuban Affairs at the State Department, where he was hired. He later moved to the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs and then finally to his current position working for the Secretary of State.

Greer shared a story about a work trip to Davos, Switzerland earlier this August. Greer was sent to Davos to oversee aspects of the World Economic Forum. Although his trip was planned to last three days, he was told the day before he left that he would have to take the train to Geneva after visiting Davos, since that was where Kerry was going to go next. This led to him spending three weeks in Switzerland.

“When you sign up for this job, it’s pretty much understood that you are on call all the time to go pretty much anywhere,” Greer said. “It’s kind of understood that you serve at the pleasure of the Secretary of State. It’s not that you’re not allowed to have a work-life balance, it’s just that you shouldn’t plan on it.”

Glenn Avisado, a junior triple-majoring in political science, economics and business administration, agreed that the talk was informative, but also thought it was disheartening.

“Parts of it were very discouraging, especially when he mentioned how hard it is for [BU] students just because we don’t have the opportunities as people in Georgetown and Washington, because they’re so close to where it all happens,” Avisado said. “But, at the same time, it’s also good to know about that because, this way, at least we’re more informed and we can prepare ourselves better in order to overcome that difficulty that people have just because we’re [BU] students.”