On Oct. 6, the Title IX Office at Binghamton University sent out the Sexual Violence Prevention Campus Climate Survey to all students, faculty and staff.

The survey was created by the SUNY system administration and was sent to select SUNY schools to find out the regularity of sexual assaults on campus and how familiar students are with resources to help them if an incident were to occur.

Title IX is a 1972 federal law that prohibits discrimination based on sex in educational programs and activities. The compliance at BU is led by coordinator Andrew Baker, who oversees gender-based issues that occur on campus, such as sexual assault and interpersonal violence. The survey was sent out via email from Baker’s office to all members of the BU community, as well as to students and faculty at other SUNY institutions by their respective Title IX offices.

According to the email sent out with the survey, the results will be used to learn about students’ perceptions of the University’s efforts in combating sexual assault both on and off campus.

“Responses will be used to shape future educational and responsive efforts at the University as we work to create a learning and working environment free from all forms of discrimination,” the email said.

The questions cover areas like student opinions on the University’s response to sexual assault, student knowledge of campus resources and student experience firsthand with assault, harassment or violence. The survey allows respondents to remain anonymous in reporting an incident of sexual assault to the University.

“It should be used as an open space for anyone that has had an experience,” said Maria Leira, a senior majoring in philosophy, politics and law. “Hopefully it will help them feel comfortable speaking out about the situation and be aware of the resources that are available to them if they need them.”

Gabrielle Aviles, a senior double-majoring in Spanish and integrative neuroscience, said she believes the University could do a better job of advertising the Title IX Office’s efforts.

“I think that there are some resources to help students but I don’t think that they are very well-publicized,” Aviles said. “I know people who have also been [sexually] assaulted that don’t feel comfortable because they don’t feel something is going to be done about it. I think the resources aren’t well-utilized or well-advertised.”

Jennifer Calabrase, a senior majoring in integrative neuroscience, said that she hopes that this survey will also improve the University’s relationship with the Binghamton Police Department when it comes to helping students who experience an assault off campus, because there seems to be a lack of communication between the two establishments on the subject.

“I know a few people that have had instances of sexual assault Downtown,” Calabrase said. “Downtown police were not the most cooperative about it and it wasn’t really exposed through the University.”

Ultimately, Aviles said, she hopes the results of the questionnaire lead to greater support for victims at BU.

“It would be helpful if the University kind of proves themselves in a way to show that they do care about students and what happens to them both on and off campus,” Aviles said. “I hope that a survey like this would make this topic more important.”