Sasa Susic/Staff Photographer Bhangra hosted its third annual dance competition Saturday in the Osterhout Concert Theater. The competition drew teams from the northeast U.S. and southeast Canada.

Binghamton Bhangra hosted its third annual intercollegiate dance competition Saturday night in Binghamton University’s Osterhout Concert Theater in an event that brought in teams from the U.S. and Canada.

The event, Bhangra Fever, is a cultural event founded and organized by Bhangra. This year 10 teams competed for $2,300 in prizes and the title of “Bhangra Fever Champion.”

Bhangra is a traditional folk dance originated in the Indian state of Punjab. The dance was traditionally performed by Sikh farmers during the harvest season.

According to Apoorva Aggarwal, vice president and a junior majoring in financial economics, the teams used props such as the saaps, khunde and kanton to express this traditional form of dance. These decorated props are traditional tools for cultivation and farming, but through dance create an energetic atmosphere.

Teams that participated in the competition came from Toronto, New York City, Ithaca, Boston and Ontario. The groups that performed but were not part of the competition were Binghamton Masti and BU Black Dance Repertoire, and Binghamton Bhangra closed the show with a dance of its own.

The three judges of the competition are active followers and experienced Bhangra dancers.

Toronto All-Star Girls Bhangra came in first place, which earned them a trophy and a $1500 award. F*A*U*J, from Boston, followed in second place and received a trophy and a $500 award. SMD Bhangra Club from New York City followed in third place with a trophy and a $300 award.

Binghamton Bhangra President Prerna Soni, a senior majoring in finance, said the dances were full of high amounts of energy.

“The energy of this dance is equivalent to the energy of hip-hop dance,” Soni said.

The beats of the dhol drum, a traditional percussion instrument, provide the foundation for the dance.

Though the Binghamton Bhangra team does not compete in the event, it works year-round to plan and organize.

Aggarwal said the planning never ends.

“As soon as the competition is over, planning for the next year’s event starts almost the day after,” Aggarwal said.

The team selects the 10 teams it wants for that year through an application process. The teams vary each year.

The BU team works to organize the performances, get teams to apply and book the after-party and DJ, along with many other preparations.

Founded in 2006, Binghamton Bhangra consists of a group of individuals who work to spread Punjabi culture and love for dance throughout the Southern Tier.

In addition to performing at on-campus events, the team has competed at national Bhangra competitions.

The rest of Binghamton Bhangra’s executive board includes Parth Patel, a senior majoring in accounting’ Tresa Mathew, a junior majoring in English’ and Veenita Kumar, a junior majoring in integrative neuroscience. The team as a whole includes 13 additional members.

“Bhangra is something I’m really passionate about,” Soni said. “It’s so much bigger this year than it started out to be.”