Kevin Sussy/Photography Editor

Local politics are finding their way onto Binghamton University’s campus as Jason Garnar, a candidate for county executive, unveiled a new student-made political platform on Friday afternoon.
Approximately 40 students gathered outside of Glenn G. Bartle Library to hear Garnar, a Democrat, present his plan for increasing connections between the University and the city of Binghamton. At the beginning of his campaign, Garnar reached out to Binghamton for Broome, a student group that was founded last December, whose mission is to connect BU students to the local government.
Brianna Cea, the campaign manager of Binghamton for Broome and a sophomore double-majoring in political science and philosophy, politics and law, said that Garnar began talking to them in order to increase interaction with the University. Garnar is the first candidate in Broome County to support and present an entirely student-made political platform.
Binghamton for Broome surveyed hundreds of BU students about their desires for the Binghamton area and the University’s relationship with the surrounding community. They then presented their platform to Garnar’s campaign, and according to Cea, the campaign was receptive to the group’s initial proposal.
“Every idea has actually remained original to [Binghamton] for Broome, which is awesome,” Cea said. “The Garnar campaign has not changed any policies; if they recommend any changes, it’s done by us and then we give it back to them. So it’s completely student-made, they just make sure it’s feasible and pledge to actually make it happen.”
The county executive’s role includes acting as the head of the executive branch of the county and overseeing most Broome County departments. The platform, which Garnar has officially backed, outlines plans to make the Binghamton area more appealing to BU students after graduation.
This will be accomplished by creating a competitive incentive grant program in which the local government, along with BU, would provide grants for students to pursue entrepreneurial endeavors in Binghamton after they graduate. By retaining student talent in the area, Garnar said he hopes that the local economy can thrive even when classes are not being held.
“You only have to look at what happens to the community and our businesses when Binghamton is in session and when it’s not in session,” Garnar said. “And when it’s in session you look at the parkway and Downtown; it’s hustling and bustling, and when it’s not, it’s a little bit lighter.”
Additionally, the platform proposes increasing internship opportunities with local businesses as well as the creation of an Office of Student Affairs under Garner’s office that would help students navigate these new avenues. Garnar also hopes to create a blue-light system in Downtown Binghamton similar to the one on campus, so that students will feel safe no matter where they are in the area.
Referencing past candidates running for political office in Broome County, Garnar pointed to an apparent lack of interest shown toward the University.
“I used to be a county legislator for several years and I would come up to Binghamton University and talk to students and work with them,” Garnar said. “But one of the things I could never understand is every time a major candidate runs for office, either they’re not on campus at all or they throw a pizza party a weekend before the election as if that’s really going to get everybody to support a local candidate.”
BU student and Binghamton City Councilman Conrad Taylor, a junior majoring in political science, introduced and endorsed Garnar at the rally. Taylor chose to endorse Garnar because he said they had a shared progressive vision for the city of Binghamton community.
“Jason is a candidate that I think can, more than anyone else, spearhead the fight to bring jobs back to Broome County, which is at the end of the day the most important thing,” Taylor said. “He understands the heroin epidemic, and it really means a lot that he understands the importance of improving the relationship between students and the community.”
Harry Bittker, a sophomore majoring in political science, said he found Garnar’s emphasis on involving BU students into his platform refreshing.
“Jason’s really looking to incorporate students into the county government, really hear from them and get their input on what the community should be like, because the goal of this should really be retaining the talent that comes through Binghamton every four years,” Bittker said.
Garnar is running against incumbent Debbie Preston, a Republican. The election will be held on Election Day, Nov. 8.