Today, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., the Student Association (SA) will conduct its hall government and Student Congress elections. However, this year, students will be voting online in a transition from the usual format.

The SA switched to an online method in the hopes of facilitating higher rates of student participation. The previous elections were not streamlined to the same day, and Hinman College did not allow students the opportunity to vote online.

The only community not following this timeline will be Dickinson Community, because of the resignation of its executive vice president (EVP) stalling its process. The former EVP stepped down after taking an RA position last minute, and the Dickinson Community decided that more time was needed for students to submit letters of intent for the newly available position. Dickinson’s elections will take place from Sept. 15 to Sept. 18 and will also be online.

Nicholas Ferrara, the SA president and a senior majoring in political science, said he is hoping to see increased involvement among students in the election.

“Elections do not mean anything without voter participation, so I hope students take advantage of the opportunity,” Ferrara said.
Student Congress is composed of 45 representatives, with five coming from each on-campus housing community, five coming from Susquehanna Community and Hillside Community combined, and 15 coming from off campus. According to Ferrara, Student Congress representatives help make many important decisions throughout campus.

“Decisions the SA makes are much more complicated than one might think, and Congress representatives have to balance all of that information to make the right decision,” Ferrara said. “Among Congress’ many responsibilities, it approves the SA budget, maintains the SA’s rules, administers executive board elections and researches University policy to find the best solutions for students to whatever problems will arise over the course of the year.”

According to Rebecca Ho, who is running for a Student Congress representative position for Susquehanna and Hillside communities and is a junior majoring in business administration, it is important to have background knowledge of the student body and the position’s demands to be a successful candidate.

“I understand both the student organization and the student government side of the token and seek to bridge the gap between the needs and wants of these parties,” Ho said.

Ferrara said that he is hopeful that this year’s elections will have a greater turnout than in previous years.

“SA Executive Board elections in the spring typically see roughly one out of every four undergraduate students participate and fall elections typically get a little less,” Ferrara said. “We are very hopeful more students will participate this year. By making them all online and on the same day, the whole process will be simpler for voters.”

Ali Kidwai, a Dickinson Community resident running for Student Congress and a sophomore majoring in integrative nuroscience, said he felt that these elections are an important opportunity for students to choose who they feel will best represent their communities.

“These elections are critical in providing members of every community to elect individuals with the best interest in bringing their community’s issues to the University-wide stage,” Kidwai said. “Similar to electing a real congressional representative, this is the best way of voicing the problems of people that’d otherwise be neglected. Please go out and vote.”