Two current Binghamton University students have launched a website, www.mondai.me, on which other BU students may ask questions related to their school or answer questions posed by their peers.

Questions on the website range from choosing a major to where to find free condoms on campus. Some questions receive a number of replies from several students, others go unanswered.

The creators of www.mondai.me, Kevin Urrutia and Norwich Mungkalaton, both seniors majoring in computer science, began working on building the website in June 2011. The pair communicated about the project mainly through video chats because Mungkalaton was in Thailand for the summer.

Both creators wanted to create a venue where BU students could share with one another the wealth of knowledge they possess about their environment.

Urrutia said he wanted to create a website like Yahoo!Answers, a popular question-and-answer website used around the world.

“Yahoo!Answers works, so why can’t I do that for college?” Urrutia asked.

The pair denied that College ACB, a defunct website that allowed students from more than 500 U.S. colleges to post discussions primarily about their peers, had served as an influence or model for mondai.me in any way.

“College ACB hides students behind a user name, we wanted to make something more personal,” Urrutia said.

Mungkalaton said he had never before heard of College ACB.

Urrutia said he thinks www.mondai.me would benefit freshmen and transfer students by “providing quality information about things they need to know to be successful at Binghamton.”

The current website is running online as a beta version. Any Internet user may view it, but a user must log in through a Facebook account to post questions or answers or to rate others’ answers. For this reason users cannot post anonymously on www.mondai.me.

All 40 students interviewed for this article said they had never heard of the website.

Chris Erterl, a junior majoring in philosophy, said the website was a “good idea that is poorly executed.”

A B-Line message sent out to all of campus on Wednesday, Sept. 14 advertised www.mondai.me as a “Q&A portal… [where] you’ll get unbiased answers to all your curiosities from your peers in one convenient spot.”

BU spokeswoman Gail Glover said that the University has no affiliation with the website.

“It’s run by students — not a commercial enterprise,” Glover said. “[It is] a portal where students answer each other’s questions.”

Urrutia and Mungkalaton said they hope to expand the website in the future, including possibly making portals for college students at schools other than BU.