Photo provided Christina Ignacio, a BU alumna who graduated in 2010, passed away from cancer last Monday at the New York Methodist Hospital.

Cristina Ignacio, a Binghamton University alumna of the class of 2010, passed away from cancer last Monday at the New York Methodist Hospital.

Ignacio’s wake was held on Thursday and Friday at the Guarino Funeral Home in Brooklyn, N.Y. She was buried Saturday at the Canarsie Cemetery.

During her time at Binghamton, Cristina studied at the Decker School of Nursing and was involved in the Philippine-American League (PAL), a student-run group that promotes awareness of Filipino culture.

The group is known for hosting popular dances and social events, such as Barrio Fiesta and Fusion. Cristina was a member of PAL throughout her entire college career, serving as the group’s cultural chair from 2008 to 2010.

People who knew Ignacio loved her for being a warm, vibrant and kindhearted person. Her motherly, caring personality earned her the nickname “Nanny” among her PAL friends.

Janine Bautista, a senior, who knew Ignacio from her underclassman years on PAL, described Ignacio as “a really upbeat, optimistic person.”

“She really had a passion for her culture and was good at making people feel at home,” Bautista said.

Kalle Yee, an alumna who was organizational chair of PAL at the same time that Cristina was cultural chair, called Ignacio “one of [her] first true friends.”

“She was very friendly, warm and welcoming,” Yee said. “She always had a big smile on her face, she was such a bubbly person. During her battle with cancer, she remained strong and had a positive attitude, even saying ‘yes! It’s time for chemotherapy! time to fight the cancer.”

Friends said Ignacio cared deeply about the people who were important to her.

“Not only was she fighting to beat cancer, she has been fighting all of her life for things for her family, fighting for her friendships,” said Joan Dillacrucis, a friend of Cristina’s who met her when both were freshman in the Decker School. “She fought for all the things that were good in her life that she wanted to keep. She had so much in her life that she was grateful for. Cristina was someone that we could hope to be. She was so inspiring. She inspired us all throughout her life.”