The Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences has hired Angela Riley, formerly at Chicago State University, as the assistant dean of xperxperimental education.

Riley is coming to BU after eight years of experience in the education field. At her previous job, she oversaw the introductory and advanced rotations of pharmacy students in Chicago, meaning placing students in different programs and outside opportunities.

The Pharmacy School, which is set to open for the Fall 2017 semester, appointed a search committee to review and interview candidates for the position. According to Pharmacy School Founding Dean Gloria Meredith, Riley stood out among the other candidates who applied.

“The school brought applicants on campus and to be interviewed by the Director of Pharmacy at both local hospital systems,” Meredith said. “The committee and the Directors of Pharmacy were unanimous that Dr. Riley was the best candidate.”

According to Riley, as the assistant dean of experimental education, she will be placing students in rotations in real-world circumstances like hospitals and local pharmacies. The experimental education program makes up roughly one-third of the Pharmacy School’s program, and Riley will be working on developing the curriculum for these rotations and assigning students where they fit in best.

Riley said she hopes to develop strong relationships with local healthcare providers so students can gain experience.

“I believe BU is a dynamic university with great programming for the students. I want to build a relationship with those programs and departments that are heavily involved in healthcare, outreach and community relations,” Riley wrote in an email. “Each of these areas will help us not only connect with the surrounding community, but will help build models of interdisciplinary care for learning/practice opportunities for BU students.”

Among the years Riley’s spent designing and implementing rotations for pharmacy students at all levels, she oversaw students working hands-on outside classroom settings in Chicago. Riley has also earned several awards, including the Chicago State University Dean’s award for outstanding faculty.

Gail Rattinger, the associate dean of the Pharmacy School and a member of the search committee, said she was impressed by Riley’s interview.

“Dr. Riley had the strongest qualifications and everyone who spoke with her/met her when she interviewed was impressed with her depth of knowledge and the professional and approachable manner in which she interacted,” Rattinger wrote in an email.

According to Rattinger, this position is extremely vital to the pharmacy school, and therefore requires a very determined individual.

“The experiential program is a major component of the pharmacy education program and so it is very important to choose an individual who is motivated, knowledgeable and professional to implement and steer experiential education and our future pharmacy students,” Rattinger wrote.

Riley said she looks forward to joining the BU family and starting her duties as assistant dean.

“I have a passion for educating the community, particularly older adults,” Riley wrote. “I decided to come to BU not only because of the vision of the School of Pharmacy Dean, Dr. Meredith, but also because the university leadership and community were extremely supportive of the coming program.”