Sarah Simone/Contributing Photographer

After graduating from Binghamton University in 2014 with a bachelor’s degree in computer science, Daniel O’Connor came back to give students advice on how to best spend their time before entering the job market.

He spoke in the Alumni Center on Friday about his journey from BU to his current job at technology startup Optimizely, which makes customer experience optimization software for companies. His presentation was a part of the BU Alumni Association’s “Cool Connections, Hot Alumni” series.

O’Connor is a user interface engineer, which means he deals with difficulties users might encounter when operating the software. He works with the design team and various coders in order to make sure it is not too complex.

O’Connor said he began toying with basic website templates in the seventh grade. Since then, he has worked on projects such as Pipe Dream’s website and HackBU. These side projects were especially useful because user interface engineers require strong attention to detail and are responsible for a program’s user-friendly nature.

He urged students to go out and create their own side projects no matter what their major and to keep up to date with their industry by following its leading professionals on social media.

“There’s a lot of stuff that you can be doing outside of the classroom that really applies to any major; it’s just all about taking things into your own hands,” O’Connor said. “Nowadays there’s way more resources and support if you’re a computer science major. You could go to HackBU and learn from people who already know some of the stuff. So keep that in mind and try to reach out to people who can serve as mentors … if you surround yourself with good people, it tends to work out.”

Atsuko Shimizu, a sophomore majoring in computer science, said she learned a lot from O’Connor and will definitely be looking into gaining experience through working on her own side projects.

“I am intrigued by what a user interface engineer does,” she said. “I have a better understanding now of what one does and what path I can take and work towards so that I could possibly be one.”

O’Connor said he encourages students to work for something they are passionate about in life and apply to different jobs, even if they’re not hiring. Above all, he said, prioritize what can help in the long run.

“Not all rules are set in stone,” O’Connor said. “Apply to a job even if it says, ‘three years of experience required.’ Be so good they can’t ignore you and just keep on applying again and again until you get what you want. There’s no reason not to do it and just because they said no the first time doesn’t mean they’ll say no the second time.”