One of Binghamton University’s oldest Greek Life institutions had its charter suspended by its parent organization.

The Eta Zeta chapter of Alpha Phi was suspended at BU for breaking the national organization’s rules and for not cooperating with an internal investigation, according to Sunni Solomon, assistant director of Greek Life at BU.

According to the Press & Sun-Bulletin, Linda Kahangi, executive director of Alpha Phi International, said that Eta Zeta violated policies governing risk management, rituals and new member education — colloquially known as pledging.

The University has said that they support the international organization’s decision to suspend the chapter.

“Binghamton University supports the decision of the Alpha Phi fraternity as it relates to its Binghamton University chapter, Eta Zeta,” Solomon said. “It was Alpha Phi’s decision to suspend this group and we will continue to be in communication with them regarding this issue. Any questions relating to the specifics of the suspension should be directed to Alpha Phi.”

The Press & Sun-Bulletin reported that Kahangi said Alpha Phi International will decide over the summer whether Eta Zeta will be permanently withdrawn from BU and will announce its decision by the fall.