When he was growing up, Keith Gardner wanted to create mobile apps. Now, he has 30 available on the App Store.

Gardner, a senior majoring in computer science, and his mother, Anne, have teamed up to create mobile apps for young kids learning math and reading skills. The apps can be downloaded on the iTunes App Store and are currently only available for iPad and iPhone.

Gardner was born in Endicott, New York, and now lives in Owego, New York, a 45-minute commute from Binghamton University. He is currently taking a semester off to intern for Bloomberg in London before returning to graduate from BU in the spring.

Anne teaches reading to kindergarten through third graders in Newark Valley, New York. With her background in teaching, she is able to provide the content for the apps, which Gardner is then able to code.

The apps have been downloaded over 70,000 times, and each app has a free and paid version. Profit from the apps goes toward funding Gardner’s BU tuition. The pair plan to create more apps for both iPhones and computers, and to translate them into more languages. They also plan on phasing out the free versions, since they limit the app features.

The apps present each student with a series of math problems or reading exercises. Each completed exercise unlocks the next one.

The reading apps start with level C, which is for beginners, and go up to level I/J, which is around the second-grade level. Some of the apps have been translated into Spanish for young kids, and can also be used to learn Spanish at the beginner level.

“We always have wanted to do something like this,” Keith said. “My mom has always been interested in new things, new activities. I’ve wanted to program mobile apps since I was in high school, but didn’t know how.”

Around Christmas of 2013 they realized that they were able to actually make the apps, and the first one was released about a month later.

“I think we just started baby steps, and then the more we did it, the more excited we got, and now we’re just looking to go on from here,” Anne said. “It’s starting to really gain some momentum, and we’re enjoying it.”

Eileen Head, the undergraduate program director of computer science, said this is an example of a way BU students can reach out beyond the greater Binghamton community.

“I think all of our majors look for ways to give back to the community,” Head said. “People want to get out, and I think it’s important that you don’t just insulate yourself from the needs of the world around you … Keith is very good that way.”

As a teacher, Anne has had a lot of experience working with kids. While the teaching is different with mobile apps, she said she thinks the change is good.

“I think the big thing is when you take it to an iPad it gives the kids all the support they need,” Anne said. “A teacher isn’t always there for a child when they don’t know a word, when they don’t understand a phrase. They get stuck and sometimes they even misread it, and once we get on the iPad they can check everything.”

Keith said the app is predominantly used by parents who home-school their kids, and the resource is inexpensive compared to textbooks.

Erik Langert, a friend of Gardner’s and a junior double-majoring in mathematics and computer science, said that while he is impressed with the apps, they don’t surprise him.

“It’s people like him who I expect to build cool things to make the world a better place,” Langert said. “It shows how great of a program BU has. It continually pumps out highly motivated passionate students that do big things.”