Starting in the spring, a select few students will be spending time with Binghamton University President Harvey Stenger every week through the Road Map Internship program.

Stenger is currently accepting applications to fill 30-50 spots for next semester. The interns will work directly with the president and his administration members by helping implement plans for improved student advising, alumni connections and diversity.

The Road Map internship is a two-credit program sponsored through the Career Development Center Internship Program (CDCI). Interns dedicate five hours a week to their research, in addition to attending weekly, one-hour seminars with Stenger. He started the program in the summer of 2012 with only four interns, and after seeing positive results, decided to continue and expand the program.

“I enjoy it because I get to meet with students once a week that are really passionate about Binghamton University and making it great,” Stenger said. “It’s a great group of students to get to know.”

A Road Map Intern researches other universities and searches for programs the University can adopt. The interns are broken up into teams, and each team has its own project. The interns meet with Stenger once a week and discuss what they have discovered.

Cara Treidel, a senior majoring in accounting, is a consulting intern in the program. She oversees a committee of other interns and helps with new intern hirings. She said her committee looks for interns who are leaders, dedicated to improving the school and have concrete ideas for positive change.

“As a class, we look into areas for improvement within the University and develop solutions that would make that area one of our University’s strengths,” Treidel said.

Jean-Philippe Fauchet, a senior majoring in computer science, is also a consulting intern. He is currently working on and overseeing two projects, each of which has its own group of interns. One group is working toward improving the relationship and accessibility of alumni to students. The other is working on developing a comprehensive one-stop advising website for students.

Fauchet said that he is currently working on creating new projects to replace those near completion, and he has been looking to other schools for inspiration.

“Both myself, as a consulting intern, and the student interns for the class are working through multiple channels to find areas that we can improve upon,” Fauchet said.

Treidel said that she appreciated her experience with Road Map and that it has contributed to her college experience.

“I am now a senior, and looking back, it definitely has been an incredible journey with the Road Map Student Task Force,” Treidel said. “I’ve learned a lot, and it has to be one of my favorite experiences that I have had while at Binghamton.”

Road Map is currently taking applications until November 6 for spring 2016. Interested students can apply online through HireBing.