Stick a Fork in it

FRIDAY, Oct. 9, 2:04 a.m. — Officers received a report of four 19-year-old males stealing from the Marketplace, said Investigator Robert Meddleton of Binghamton’s New York State University Police. By the time the officers responded to the location the suspects had already left. The officers noticed a utensil dispenser that was broken off of the wall. While investigating, the officers found a sign in the middle of the sidewalk in front of the University Union that was believed to have been stolen by the suspects. The officers saw four males near the sign. One of them was carrying a napkin holder from the dining area. The officers approached the suspects and when questioned, the suspect holding the napkin holder said that he needed napkins in his room so he took the holder. After more questioning, the suspects admitted to stealing the sign and breaking the utensil dispenser. The suspects were referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Cracking Under Pressure

FRIDAY, Oct. 9, 3:32 a.m. — Officers responded to the University Union after receiving a report about several males breaking ceiling tiles, Meddleton said. The overnight cleaner of the building said that the suspects, who were all wearing white t-shirts and backpacks, were in room 115D of the building breaking ceiling tiles. The suspects fled the scene toward the Union bus stop when officers arrived. The case is still under investigation.

Who Uses Yahoo!?

FRIDAY, Oct. 9, 2:45 p.m. — A 19-year-old male came to the UPD station to report that his debit card info was stolen, Meddleton said. The victim said that someone hacked his Yahoo! mail account. The victim tried accessing his mail and received a message telling him to call a number if he wanted his account reactivated. He called the number and the person who responded said that the victim must pay $30 to reactivate the account. The victim complied and gave the suspect his debit card information. After he still could not access his account, the victim checked his bank statement and noticed that he was charged $79.99 by the suspect. The victim went to UPD and an officer called the suspect. The suspect told the officer that he would charge him $99.99 to help. When the suspect was told that the caller was a police officer, the suspect hung up. The case is still under investigation.

Knowledge is Key

SUNDAY, Oct. 11, 12:05 p.m. — Officers were dispatched to Lot Y4 for a report of criminal mischief, Meddleton said. The officers spoke to the victim who said that someone keyed his vehicle. Upon further inspection, the officers found that the scratches could be rubbed off so they deduced that the vehicle was not keyed. The victim feels strongly that the scratches were caused by someone else because he said that he would have noticed it otherwise. The case is still under investigation.