Binghamton University’s Confucius Institute provided a new opportunity to venture into Chinese history, culture and arts with the addition of the Chinese Cultural Experience Center to Glenn G. Bartle Library.

The Chinese Cultural Experience Center celebrated its grand opening on Saturday in honor of International Confucius Institute Day, a day where institutes that support Chinese teaching around the world celebrate Chinese culture. BU also decided to hold the celebration on the day that the Chancellor of the National Academy of Chinese Theatre Arts, Gong Yu, was in Binghamton.

Students, faculty and members of the community crowded the lobby of the library to hear the opening addresses and watch the ceremonious ribbon cutting, then proceeded to enter and explore the Center.

The Center, which is located to the left of the library entrance, displays various aspects of Chinese culture mainly related to theater and opera. There are costumes on display as well as texts and photos relating to Chinese culture, accompanied by an interactive touch screen that allows visitors to play traditional Chinese songs. Visitors can also use the display to be superimposed into Beijing opera costumes.

Alyssa Berkowitz, a senior double-majoring in bioengineering and Chinese, is featured in a photo in the Center dressed in full Chinese opera attire. The photo is from the Chinese Bridge Competition, where Berkowitz won second place in Chinese cultural skills for performing opera.

“There’s a big Chinese presence here, and I think that Chinese people take a lot of pride in their culture,” Berkowitz said. “I think having this exhibit here will give them a sense of connection and appreciation.”

In addition to providing education on Chinese language and culture, BU’s Confucius Institute is the only one in the US that specializes in a field; the Institute’s focus is opera. This is due to the University’s partnership with The National Academy for Chinese Theatre Arts, a university in Beijing. Donald Nieman, the provost and vice president for academic affairs, said that this specialization makes the University’s institute unique.

“It grew out of a very strong partnership that we had with The Academy for Chinese Theatre Arts, and we thought that it would be a really good partnership to build on to do something unique and to do something a little bit different,” Nieman said. “I think that’s really important in a world that’s becoming more interconnected.”

Chancellor Yu addressed the audience in Chinese through a translator. He said that he was appreciative of the partnership between The Academy and BU, and he encouraged the University to continue fostering the relationship.

“[I’d like] to express my wish for longevity of [this] relationship here at Binghamton University,” Yu said. “I wish that our collaboration can last forever.”

Tiffany Camusci, a sophomore majoring in history, was encouraged by her Chinese professor to attend the grand opening of the new center. She said she thought it was valuable information for students on campus to have access to.

“I’m taking the language, so it’s interesting to see the culture,” Camusci said. “It’s important to learn about different cultures because we all have different backgrounds, and we have a huge Chinese population on campus, but even as an art form, I think it’s meaningful.”