Timmy Shin/Staff Photographer

For one night only, Appalachian Dining Hall will transform into a concert hall complete with electric musical performances, professional lighting, sound equipment and a laser show.

This Friday’s electronica-infused event, Binghamtronica, is being billed as Binghamton University’s first-ever electronic music festival. Five electronic and dubstep musical artists are set to perform: Brothers Past, Jeff Bujak, Horizon Wireless, SOLARiS and InK Line.

The show is being sponsored by BU’s chapter of Oxfam America, an organization dedicated to fighting hunger, poverty and social injustice, and HeadCount, a non-partisan organization that seeks to register people to vote at concerts.

Kristen Grennan, president of Oxfam America at BU, said she knew she wanted Oxfam to host an event with a concert-like feel. She saw Appalachian Dining Hall as a perfect venue for a light show because of its hillside location and floor-to-ceiling windows that would allow people to see what was happening from outside.

Grennan said she was excited to fuse community service with entertainment.

“I’m very active in the electronic music scene, so we just knew of some of the bands we wanted to ask to play,” she said. “It’s an ambitious project because Oxfam only gets a $100 budget per year from the SA [Student Association].”

Grennan explained that Oxfam receives little funding because it is not as monetarily-based as some other relief organizations like the Red Cross. Oxfam instead provides education and preventative measures more often than direct financial aid. She said Oxfam invites those who do not necessarily want to attend Binghamtronica to still donate to the group.

Jared Raphel, the keyboardist for SOLARiS, said he heard about Binghamtronica “by being in the right place at the right time.”

His band has only played five shows, but was recruited by Greg Sarafan, a blogger for HeadCount, who saw SOLARiS play at On the Roxx in Downtown Binghamton.

Raphel said his experience has taught him that most audiences at electronica shows seem to look for the same key elements: driving beats, deep basslines and lots of lights.

“People come with their dancing shoes on,” he said. “If Binghamtronica goes well, I hope there will be more shows like it on campus.”

Tickets are on sale now and cost $20 for general admission and $15 for students who live off campus. Proceeds will go to Oxfam Japan to aid victims of the recent earthquake and tsunami. Purchases can be made online at www.jambasetickets.com/events/142312/Binghamtronica or at various campus locations at times announced through Binghamtronica’s Facebook event page, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=102637796482378.