Duncan McInnes/Pipe Dream Staff Photographer Over 70 students walked together Saturday morning to raise money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). The walk, titled “Out of the Darkness,” was coordinated by three Hinman RAs and raised $1,235 for AFSP.

Over 70 students gathered Saturday morning to raise awareness about suicide by participating in the Out of the Darkness walk.

The walk was coordinated by three Hinman resident assistants in conjunction with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), an organization that speaks about mental health issues and suicide at colleges across the country.

The event raised $1,235 to be donated to the AFSP to help extend its research and education. Among the students who participated in the walk were organized teams from Lehman Hall, Phi Sigma Sigma, the Zombie Student Association and Circle K, a collegiate community service organization.

Students began walking at 10 a.m. by the Hinman Quad and circled around the Brain three times. In addition, the AFSP had a table with representatives from its Broome County chapter who supplied pamphlets about how those struggling with mental illness can get help.

According to Kristen Mulvena, one of the coordinators of the walk and a junior majoring in psychology, the AFSP is the only nonprofit organization exclusively dedicated to understanding and preventing suicide through research, education and advocacy. She said that the purpose of the walk was to create a conversation about mental illness.

“Students here are willing to begin a dialogue about this very important issue,” Mulvena said. “Often mental health isn’t talked about until it’s too late. Fighting the stigma against mental illness begins with open and understanding dialogue.”

Attendees such as Kayla Basedow, a member of the Phi Sigma Sigma team and a freshman majoring in nursing, said they participated in the walk for those who have committed or contemplated suicide, as well as for friends who are currently suffering from mental illness.

“Even if you don’t know someone who has committed suicide, you might know someone who was depressed or has a mental illness,” Basedow said. “It’s important for people to realize that it’s more common than you’d think.”

Others like Henry Avery, a senior majoring in accounting, said he hoped that events like these will show students the support that is available to them on campus.

“I think suicide prevention and awareness are extremely important on college campuses,” Avery said. “I’ve personally lost two friends to suicide so I’m really thankful there are resources here for students to take advantage of and that students are talking about this issue.”

Stephanie Giatas, a coordinator of the walk and a junior double-majoring in psychology and chemistry, said she hoped that the walk helped create a more comfortable environment at BU for those who suffer from mental illness.

“I think that we need to have events like this to create a more open conversation,” Giatas said. “I just hope that the people here can become more aware about how serious mental illnesses are, and can become more accepting of them so people suffering can feel more comfortable and seek help.”