The Caribbean Student Association (CSA) has kicked off Caribbean Week, a week-long series of events centered around the theme, “together we aspire, together we achieve.”

Members of CSA held a discussion yesterday evening titled “New Rules of Engagement,” focusing on changing perceptions about marriage, in New University Union room 325.

Representatives from Planned Parenthood, Real Education About College Health (REACH) and Binghamton University’s psychology department were scheduled to appear at the event, though all of them canceled.

Much of the discussion dealt with the different beliefs men and women have about unprotected sex, the importance of consent and factors that lead to unprotected sex.

“Many of us need to understand that sex is about communication,” said Sharisse Grimes, a senior member of CSA. “Both parties have to be ready, and both need to express consent — whether a condom is in place or not — especially in college.”

The student panel repeatedly reminded the audience that protection is key and that condoms are available for free on campus.

“Our problem is that we see condoms as an inconvenience,” said Crystal Peters, a junior majoring in political science and the political coordinator for CSA. “We’re lazy, and that’s why we become statistics.”

Caribbean Week continues tonight as Shakira Martin, better known as Miss Jamaica Universe, hosts a talk, “The MISSeducation,” from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in Old University Union room 252.

The talk will focus on diseases in the Caribbean and how they affect people there.

Martin has sickle cell anemia, so she will also discuss her battle with the disease.

“Part of our initiative as a culture organization is to keep the campus educated on both social and political traditions and issues in the Caribbean countries,” CSA President Raisa Staine said.

On Thursday, CSA will hold a dinner food sale from 5 to 7 p.m. in the location of the former Kosher Kitchen. The food will then be served in the Mandela Room, which will be transformed into a restaurant serving traditional Caribbean foods. Students will also perform Caribbean music.

CSA will close out the week with a rave titled “E.N.D: The Energy Never Dies” from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday in the Mandela Room. The rave will feature music by Hot 97’s Massive B — made up of Bobby Konders and Jabba — and DJ Decibel of The Rathskeller.

CSA leaders said that events on Saturday and Sunday this week remain “to be announced,” but will include a community service project. They also said they hope to make this year’s Caribbean week more inclusive.

“We’ve decided to play music from different places, and even book DJ Decibel, a local DJ,” Staine said. “We’re really trying to bridge the gap between Caribbean students and non-Caribbean students.”

In previous years, the BU administration has expressed concerns about safety during CSA’s annual concert, previously named “Carnival.”

Staine said that CSA would work to limit non-BU students at the rave and has cut back on live music performances.

“‘Carnival’ was a concert, and our rave is a celebration,” Staine said. “The University has been much more lenient than previous years, but we are still adhering to safety policies. We expect it to run much more smoothly this year.”