To build and expand cities it takes more than just construction projects — it takes planning. Several urban planners came to Binghamton University on Tuesday to discuss their work organizing densely populated areas.

Urban planners try to improve the welfare of a community by creating building projects and infrastructure. This can include orchestrating and designating the construction of bridges, roads and open spaces.

Melissa Enoch, one of the six professionals who spoke in the Old University Union at the Urban Planning Professional Network Panel, explained that urban planning is an umbrella term for a variety of areas.

A sustainable development planner, Enoch said she always wanted to go to law school, but learned from an environmental lawyer that such work was mainly about reacting to acts against the environment. Now, as a development planner, she said she can directly make a difference.

“It’s a lot of paper pushing, but it’s worth it,” Enoch said. “You can shape a project and there are a lot of opportunities.”

Frank Evangelisti, chief planner of Broome County, described how he moved through numerous urban planning jobs and helped create comprehensive plans for the local area; plans had not existed for more than a decade. He said one of his more rewarding projects was simply organizing a year-round farmers’ market.

Jennifer Yonkoski, a senior transportation planner at Binghamton Metropolitan Transportation Study (BMTS), spoke about a plan for a $6.9 million project to improve the general quality of living in Binghamton, like adding a bike lane connecting Vestal Parkway directly to Downtown, which would give students easier access to Downtown from campus. She said that such work was an example of how students could get involved and help.

“It’s an expensive project, but it’s an important connection for students to reach Downtown,” Yonkoski said. “Along those lines, one of the things that they’re doing to help the Binghamton area is creating more sidewalks such as the new one by the bus stop by Target. So they’re trying their best.”

Speakers urged students, regardless of their particular studies, to look for ways to get involved.

Katie Shepard, the director of communications for the Students of Urban Planning club, said she helped organize this event to teach students about opportunities for urban planning, especially in the local area. She highlighted chances to get involved as new student housing and local sidewalks were being built.

“I wanted to give students an opportunity to network with planners both on the county level and on the city level and also the private sector,” said Shepard, a senior double-majoring in psychology and urban planning. “It helps students who aren’t familiar with urban planning get an understanding of what urban planning is.”

Katie Garrison, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering, said that attending this event opened her up to new career options.

“I thought I’d come to see how it is to work for the government versus working in the private sector,” Garrison said. “It was interesting because, as a mechanical engineering major, I would never think to do something like this, but now it seems like a good thing to explore.”