Kevin Sussy/Contributing Photographer As a professional representing the Southern Tier Association for Human Resources (STAHR), Dan Higham talks about the importance of internship opportunities to gain work experience. He stressed the values of having a well-organized résumé as well as utilizing campus resources.

Members of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) came together Wednesday night to hear career advice from human resources professional Dan Higham, who sat down to discuss the nitty gritty of how to find a job in human resources (HR).

Higham, who graduated from Oswego University in 2011, majored in human resources management and began working as the HR generalist for Time Warner Cable after graduation. He currently serves as the membership chairperson for the Southern Tier Association for Human Resources (STAHR). At STAHR, he coordinates recruiting, retention and engagement efforts.

During his talk, Higham emphasized the importance of students starting internships early in their college careers. Higham completed two internships while attending SUNY Oswego, working as a human resources intern for both Pepsi Beverages Company and Gypsum Express. Not only did these internships help to build his resume, but they taught him important skills he could not have learned through school, he said.

“I felt they gave me practical experience in the HR field,” Higham wrote in an email. “School helps with the foundational knowledge, internships help bring that knowledge to life.”

Higham also stressed the importance of having a well-organized résumé. He described a cover letter as a commercial for an applicant’s résumé, and suggested only listing a GPA when it is in the middle to upper 3.0 range. He explained that resources on campus had been helpful to him, such as the career center and organizations like SHRM.

“Networking, building a strong resume and practicing interviewing skills can be very helpful tools in the job search,” Higham wrote. “With that said, it could vary by person and even by major on what works best.”

It was networking that brought Higham to Binghamton University and to the attention of SHRM President Samara Monte, a senior double-majoring in economics and human development. Monte had heard of Higham through contacts at her own internship at Lourdes Hospital, and met him when she attended a STAHR event.

“I thought that it was great,” Monte said. “Not only would he let us know about what he does as an HR professional, which we’re all interested in, but also what he does for STAHR, which we cooperate with.”

Monte said she found Higham’s advice on résumé building and how to stand out to employers especially helpful.

“Not only did he give advice for us to mimic other people’s success, but basically to mimic his, too,” she said.

Higham said that it was important to start thinking about careers sooner rather than later. His strong network of connections was what helped him during his own job search.

“I applied to many jobs when I was job searching my last semester in school,” Higham wrote. “Be patient and don’t give up.”

Higham is one of numerous HR professionals SHRM plans to have come speak over the next month. Tom Popielarski, a member of BU’s HR department, will be joining them next on April 15.

Casey Pritchard, a junior majoring in business administration who attended the talk, said that he was a useful resource with lot of advice to give.

“He knows his stuff about networking — he’s a great keystone to have,” Pritchard said. “The biggest thing that resonated with me was when he about staying curious. That’s what really took me.”