The College of Community and Public Affairs is adjusting to its recent relocation from the University Downtown Center to the third floor of the Engineering Building.

After 17 feet of water flooded the UDC’s basement, which contained the building’s central electrical systems, the CCPA’s administrative offices and the majority of its classrooms were forced to evacuate.

At the time of the flood, the CCPA had been operating in the UDC for four years. The college utilized 11 UDC classrooms, and an estimated 1,500 students attended the UDC for classes.

CCPA dean Patrica Ingraham led the evacuation from the second, third and fourth floors of the UDC on the afternoon of Wednesday, Sept. 7 when the flooding began. She was notified the next morning that administration would not be able to return to the UDC.

The following week, faculty were permitted to re-enter the UDC to retrieve critical items and class materials from their offices, none of which were damaged, Ingraham said. Movers assisted in transporting items from the UDC to the Engineering Building.

The CCPA’s offices reopened at 8 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13 in the Engineering Building after being closed Thursday, Sept. 8 through Monday Sept. 12.

There is currently no date for when the CCPA will be able to return to the UDC, but employees are hoping to know more sometime next week.

“We’re all safe and looking forward to going back Downtown,” Ingraham said. “They are just now able to go back into the UDC to see if the operating systems can be fixed or if they will need to be replaced.”

The CCPA offices are now located in pods P, Q, R and S on the third floor of the Engineering Building.

This space had become available after several engineering departments moved their offices to the new Innovative Technologies Complex in July.

“It was a perfect opportunity because the space was all sort of setup,” said Victor Fiori, the Engineering Building’s chief technician. “Those rooms were going to lay empty for quite some time, to prepare for remodeling.”

Administrators expressed mixed opinions about the relocation, but agreed that the move is promoting a new sense of community for their department.

“It has been frustrating. The fact that classes started at the UDC and then we had to relocate the few days after the flooding. It was difficult trying to navigate campus,” said Robert Palmer, associate professor of affairs of administration.

Palmer teaches two graduate courses and both were forced to relocate after the flood to rooms with less technological equipment than at the UDC.

“It has been a challenge trying to get assistance and help from staff members from the Lecture Hall, while teaching in [the] Student Wing,” Palmer said. “We have managed to get through it, and we’re trying to adjust. The building is a bit awkward and strange, but overall it seems to be a nice, comfortable space.”

Tammy Behonick, assistant dean of the CCPA, agreed with Palmer.

“Personally, I think it’s great here. Of course it’s not the UDC, but we’re all in this together on the third floor,” Behonick said.

However, many faculty members and students are particularly concerned with parking problems on campus.

“The one issue I have had is parking and that’s been the most challenging thing for me,” Behonick said.

Behonick and Ingraham have been working together to facilitate the relocation process and trying to make the transition as easy as possible.

“We have tried to minimize impact on students in any way possible,” Ingraham said. “As much as we tried to make it go smoothly, the reality is it’s disruptive.”

Students agreed that Behonick and Ingraham have diligently been updating students throughout the relocation.

“We received several emails throughout the entire process and our teachers informed us in class as to where their new offices were on the main campus,” said Alexa Lippman, a junior majoring in human development.

Rachel Serwetz, the student representative of the Human Development Association, valued the environment at the UDC and feels inconvenienced by the move.

“We are dealing with the farther commute and treacherous parking on campus all five days a week, instead of just a few, or even what used to be none for some students,” said Serwertz, a junior majoring in human development. “The Downtown Center not only had a great a sense of unity among HDEV students, but it was a beautiful resourceful center for learning.”

Palmer is looking forward to returning to the UDC, but remains optimistic about his department’s current predicament.

“I am looking forward to getting back to something that feels normal,” Palmer said.