File photo Homecoming weekend kicked off early at Binghamton University with a concert yesterday and continues with many events throughout the weekend.

Homecoming weekend kicked off early at Binghamton University this year with a concert Thursday night and is sure to continue with many events for students to partake in throughout the weekend.

Electronic acts Pretty Lights and Big Gigantic shared the stage at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in the first-ever Homecoming concert hosted by the Student Association Programming Board.

The concert was relocated from BU’s Events Center to the Broome County Arena because evacuees were still housed at the Events Center through Wednesday of this week. The SAPB and its partners made the decision to move the concert’s location on Monday because they did not have sufficient time to properly begin setting up last night’s concert at the Events Center.

Adam Sebag, concert chair of the SAPB, said the SAPB selected the Homecoming concert’s lineup based on musical tastes expressed by students.

“We’re really excited that we were able to land these artists,” Sebag said. “It will really add to the big weekend.”

Homecoming’s events continue today as the Black Student Union hosts its annual Fashion Show. The show begins at 7 p.m. in the Anderson Center’s Osterhout Concert Theater. Student models will showcase clothing from several different designers.

Tomorrow will feature an SA-hosted “Undie Run” beginning at 3 p.m. in the docks of the Glenn G. Bartle Library.

The SA is encouraging students to arrive wearing clothing they wish to donate to victims of the flood. Participants will then strip off the to-be-donated clothes and sprint in their undergarments to Tailgate ’11, which is known as the centerpiece of Homecoming weekend.

Tailgate ’11 will begin at 4 p.m. tomorrow outside of the Bearcats Sports Complex.

Catherine Cornell, SA vice president for programming, said the SA aimed to create novel events for Homecoming this year.

“Past Homecomings have been notoriously lame,” Cornell said. “We wanted to do something different, fun and spontaneous.”

Steve Seepersaud, a communication specialist in the Office of Alumni Relations, said that Homecoming would unite the campus community.

“The goal is to bring together the entire campus — alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends,” Seepersaud said. “Students can expect to have fun. This event is all about celebrating our Binghamton University spirit.”

Andrew Bryant, a senior majoring in political science, said he was eagerly anticipating Homecoming.

“It will be better than last year’s,” Bryant predicted. “It’s a good event to bring campus together, to have a better sense of community.”

Hannah Kittrell, an undeclared freshman, expressed similar sentiments about Homecoming.

“I think it is a great opportunity to meet new people, show your school spirit and learn about ways to get involved on campus,” Kittrell said.

Some, however, expressed indifference about Homecoming.

“I don’t even know what’s going on for Homecoming, so I guess I don’t care that much,” said Ken Barretto, a sophomore majoring in integrative neuroscience.

Tailgate ’11 precedes the men’s soccer game between BU and Adelphi University, which will take place at 7 p.m. tomorrow in the Bearcats Sports Complex. According to Seepersaud, two of the last three Homecoming soccer games have a history of selling out, so those who wish to buy tickets should do so in advance.

Alpha Epsilon Phi will also host its annual Greek God competition beginning at 8 p.m. in the West Gym. Campus fraternity members will show off their body-building talents in the competition, which raises money for charity.

Finally, on Sunday, the Softball Club will host an alumni softball game beginning at noon at the East Gym’s Field 9.

More information about Homecoming events is available at http://www.binghamton.edu/alumni/alumni-events-and-networks/homecoming/.