Franz Lino/Photo Editor Pictured: Jack Fischer, student speaker for TEDx2015

In a little over two weeks’ time, the Osterhout Concert Theater will be filled to capacity with an audience eager to hear “Ideas Worth Spreading.” But this year, TEDxBinghamtonUniversity is trying something new: bringing a student speaker to the stage.

Jack Fischer, a sophomore double-majoring in computer science and mathematics, will be joining six other speakers to embody this year’s theme of “Walk The Talk.”

Fischer’s talk, titled “Porn: The New Tobacco,” will focus on NoFap, a Reddit-inspired community where members abstain from watching pornography or masturbating for periods of time ranging from days to years.

“There’s a growing body of research showing what porn is doing to society,” Fischer explained. “And the grassroots response to that has been most notably through NoFap, this community on Reddit. It’s men and women — mostly men, frankly — and the idea is that you are recovering from whatever porn has done to your brain; sort of rebooting your sexuality.”

Many students applied, but Fischer stood out from the pack. His idea beat out nearly 70 others, according to Stephanie Izquieta, director of TEDxBinghamtonUniversity and a senior majoring in philosophy, politics and law, for the originality of its subject matter and the level of entertainment of his speech.

“We thought it was really funny,” Izquieta said. “In some ways, we thought it was really brave that someone would feel comfortable talking about that, and I think that’s part of the reason why we selected it. The fact that someone is comfortable talking about it and is willing to address those underlying issues is important.”

Fischer has involved himself with the movement, creating a panic button on the NoFap web page for community members who feel like they might relapse. Clicking the button brings the user to a web page with an inspirational message to help them strengthen their resolve.

“Last year it was about people thinking differently,” Izquieta said. “This year, it’s about people actually doing things that are making a difference. We saw Jack’s talk and it fit very perfectly with our theme. It’s literally a student doing something about an issue.”

And though the name of his talk compares the porn industry to big tobacco, Fischer insists that his talk is meant to educate, not attack.

“I’m firmly in the camp that [porn] is basically a drug,” he said. “I don’t want to say it’s anti-porn. I don’t think the point of the talk should be anti-anything. I think it’s pro-healthy sexuality. We’re trying to undo what a for-profit industry has destroyed for millions of people.”

Despite the fact that Fischer will be a student speaking amongst adults with years of experience in their respective fields, Izquieta said that she is excited to see what he can do.

“Oftentimes we shy away from opportunities because we think we’re not qualified enough,” she said. “I think this is an opportunity for all students to come together and say ‘I don’t need your credentials, I have something to share and I want to share it.’”

Tickets will go on sale Friday in the Marketplace and will cost $10. TEDxBinghamtonUniversity will take place on Sunday, March 15 at 1 p.m.