On the evening before Binghamton University’s campus-wide job fair, the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science hosted a more exclusive event Tuesday night to give engineering students insights into meeting and networking with potential employers.

At the Employer Career Secrets Panel at the Innovative Technologies Complex (ITC) Engineering and Science Building, industry insiders from IBM, Bechtel, BAE Systems, Geodis and Lockheed Martin gathered to help students navigate the highly competitive engineering job market by speaking one-on-one with them and presenting tips as a panel on what employers look for in candidates.

Denise Lorenzetti, the director of Career and Alumni Connections at the Watson School, said the event gave students an opportunity to learn how to make a good first impression at the job and internship fair.

“What you need to do is stand out,” Lorenzetti said. “The career fair is so large, this is more intimate. This panel is a real asset. All of them have been in the industry so they know what they’re talking about.”

According to Lorenzetti, this is the third year that Watson has hosted the panel session in collaboration with the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development.

“Every year it gets bigger,” Lorenzetti said. “Students understand the importance of networking.”

During the discussion, panelists gave advice on the hiring process, ranging from cover letter etiquette to interpersonal skills. All of the panelists highlighted the importance of eye contact and firm handshakes when meeting a potential employer, as well as having a well-rounded academic career.

Members of the panel recognized the importance of a high GPA, but said personal connections were also vital to securing a job. They encouraged candidates to do research on companies before interviews and to send thank-you cards afterward.

Lindsay Crawford, manager of the Engineering Development Program for BAE Systems, said the best advice she could give students was to showcase their unique qualities.

“Know what you’re looking for and be yourself, but the best version of yourself,” Crawford said. “Think of it as dating, you’re making long-term relationships with employers.”

A question-and-answer session followed the panel. Students asked a number of questions, such as cover letter etiquette and whether or not to apply for the same job twice. According to the panelists, cover letters should always include reasons why the candidate is interested in this position, and applying for the same job twice is acceptable after a few months have passed.

David Skoda, a junior majoring in computer science, said that the event cleared up some of his concerns and helped him understand what skills he needed to improve.

“This was my first event and a lot of it was common sense, but there’s also a lot of gray areas,” Skoda said. “I need to be a lot more confident.”

Lorenzetti said she was happy with the turnout and the panelists, and that she hoped the information shared would help students find their career.

“The event went very well and the panelists were great,” Lorenzetti said. “The students got little nuggets of information tonight that may make the difference between getting a job or losing out on it.”