Rita Mogilanski/Staff Photographer Pictured, a chain link fence blocks part of the Lois B. DeFleur Walkway near the Fine Arts Building from student foot traffic. The appearance of the fences around campus has greatly increased the travel times for many students, especially those taking classes in science buildings.

Construction that began at Binghamton University this summer continues as classes have resumed and students attempt to navigate detours and blockages around campus.

About 66 percent of the concourse area of the Lecture Hall underwent renovations this summer, as well as Lecture Halls 1 and 2, according to BU’s website. The work began after commencement in May, lasted throughout the summer and will cease temporarily during the academic year. Work will resume next summer, when the remaining portion of the concourse in the north side of the building will be renovated during phase 2.

The Lecture Hall’s four quadrants will be designed to resemble the four seasons of the year and use environmentally friendly materials such as recycled resin panels and paint with low Volatile Organic compounds, an ingredient found in most paints that can be toxic.

Will Lauffer, a senior majoring in biology, said he looks forward to changes around campus.

“I like the new Lecture Hall. I am hoping that it isn’t finished yet though,” he said. “I did really enjoy the seats in the hallways and I want them to re-add them. They were a great place to go and do work before class.”

The Central Campus Quad project, which includes overhauling the landscape of the Lois B. DeFleur Walkway outside the Glenn G. Bartle Library as well as replacing the existing fountain with a newer model, is expected to be completed by November 2012. The project was broken down into four phases, of which they are currently in phase 2.

The old fountain, which covered a water line that needed repairs, has been removed and the foundations for a new infinity fountain have been put into place. Entrances to the nearby Science I remain open, but detour walkways have been constructed using chain link fences to get around the construction.

This construction has caused congestion in this heavily trafficked area of campus and gotten mixed reactions from students. Some feel that the detours impinge their abilities to get to and from class easily and on time.

“It takes me five more minutes than usual to get to class around there. I think that there is too much construction going on over all and that it should not have been done all at once,” said Kurban Lokhandwala, a junior double-majoring in biology and Arabic.

Others, however, said they saw the construction as a necessary step to improve the campus.

“I’m coming from another class and I have to run over to get there in time. But it’s OK because it will be nicer when it is done,” said Brenda Dulak, an undeclared sophomore.

Lauffer lamented being presently unable to bike around central campus.

“I usually take a bike to class but can’t effectively through all the detours which is an annoyance,” he said. “I have to move pretty far across campus but 10 minutes is ample time to get from class to class. Some people are a minute or two late, [but] professors are accommodating.”

Renovation of the Chenango Room is also currently underway. According to BU’s website, the work is scheduled to be completed by the fall 2012 semester and includes new serving stations and an Einstein’s Bagel restaurant addition.