Anna Menkova/Staff Photographer Students wait for buses outside of the Old University Union. The student-run OCCT bus service is revamping routes as well as adding new routes this year.

The new year has brought changes to Off Campus College Transport’s blue bus service, including modifications to bus routes and added routes, which OCCT Director Jeremy Stevens said would improve service for students on and off campus.

A comparison of the spring 2011 and fall 2011 OCCT schedules indicates that the JC Westside bus line has added more rotations — from two to three times an hour between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. this fall. OCCT has also added an ITC line, for the newly opened Innovative Technologies Complex across Murray Hill Road from campus.

There will be more frequent runs of the Campus Shuttle line on weekends, and the UP Shuttle line has expanded from once-daily on weeknights last spring to a full docket of rotations throughout the week.

Complete schedules and route maps are available on OCCT’s website, www.occtransport.org.

Stevens said the schedule was changed based on student feedback.

“We take into account passenger surveys and feedback from our drivers and staff,” he said.

Stevens took over the director’s position in May after he graduated from Binghamton University with a degree in industrial systems engineering, according to his Facebook page.

“It’s always our goal to maximize our availability and provide access to the areas students want to go,” Stevens said, responding to a reporter’s question via email.

According to OCCT’s Twitter feed, 10 bus runs have been cancelled since the start of classes on Aug. 29.

One bus has also broken down this year, according to Stevens, after “it threw a temper tantrum,” but he did not elaborate.

In addition to working out the kinks of an updated schedule and dealing with routine mechanical issues, OCCT is also grappling with the perennial task of filling out its roster of drivers.

“We are always looking for new drivers, we have a high turnover rate that we have to replenish each semester, so we need to plan very carefully,” Stevens said when asked about the number of employed drivers.

The unpaid student training program for bus driving typically lasts for eight weeks each semester, and teaches students how to operate a 12-ton bus, the company’s routes and stops, and basic maintenance skills. Once a student successfully completes the training program, he or she is hired at starting wages with chances for promotion. The position requires a full year of active licensed driving and a clean driving record.

OCCT plans to replace older buses with new ones, Stevens added.

Student Association President Kathryn Howard — who like all SA presidents is also the CEO of OCCT — said that though there is no set timeline for bus replacement, the bus company can now look forward to other projects because of its solid fiscal standing.

“I would say … that OCCT is finally in the black. For many, many years it has been in the red,” Howard said, in an email message Monday night. “During those years, OCCT focused primarily on continued service and working on the finances of the organization. Now, we are able to look into other projects such as a potential GPS system for drivers and riders. We are also increasing driver payment to $10 an hour.”

OCCT’s financial fortunes turned around after a spring 2010 increase in the student activity fee was approved in a campus-wide referendum.

Students voted to increase the semesterly fee from $86.50 to $92.50, a $6 increase. Half of that increase went to OCCT, which had previously been forecast as heading toward bankruptcy. The company was then able to purchase two new buses and implement a card-scanning system.

Devora Hornstein, a sophomore majoring in history, said she thought that last year’s OCCT service was unreliable and definitely needed improvement.

“On several days buses didn’t even show up on my route,” Hornstein said. “The whole point for me was using the buses on days with bad weather, but they were most likely not to show up then.”

She did say, however, she liked the new, shorter buses that OCCT has added.

“When I was lucky enough to get to ride one last year, I noticed they were much more comfortable, and seemed much safer and reliable to use,” she said.

Seth Newman, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said he believes the new buses complicate the OCCT system.

“My problem with the new buses is that they hold less people, so at peak times on the weekends and late at night, it can be a hassle trying to find a spot, especially if you’re looking to go out with a group,” Newman said.

He said he has used the buses several times this year, but he has not seen any positive improvements.

“It’s still packed Thursday evenings through the weekend,” he said. “Maybe the smaller new buses are making it difficult to maximize occupancy.”