Photo provided0 James Carrigg, founder of the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science and Binghamton resident, died Oct. 11 at the age of 81.

James Carrigg, Binghamton community member and a founder of the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science, died Oct. 11 of natural causes after suffering a stroke. He was 81 years old.

After serving in the United States Army in Korea, Carrigg finished his education at Broome Community College and began working at New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG), where he climbed the ranks, and retired as the chairman, president and CEO of the company.

According to his son, John Carrigg, Carrigg’s most important goal in life was to give back to the community, and he used his connections to help build Watson, Binghamton University’s engineering school, for which he was awarded an honorary degree in 2012.

“His guidance, leadership and mentoring over the years has always been about working hard, being prepared, being professional and always finding time to give back to the community and support efforts and causes that have made a difference,” John said. “That’s a very strong legacy, and something that’s instilled in me from a very early age; he always taught me to be prepared and to be involved.”

Krishnaswami Srihari, current dean of the Watson school, said that Carrigg was a local community leader because he planned for the long term as a board member of the Dr. G. Clifford and Florence B. Decker Foundation, the Binghamton University Foundation and as a BU faculty member.

“It was people like James Carrigg who looked into the future and said that this geographical area would benefit by a school of engineering and applied sciences,” Srihari said. “He was very instrumental in being a leader and a strategic thinker in looking 30, 40, 50 years down the road and saying this is something the area needs.”

Jackie McKenna, Carrigg’s granddaughter, said his dedication to community service came from his family background. His father died before he was born, and according to McKenna, Carrigg’s ability to rise up from poverty defined him for the rest of his life.

“I think that he connected well with people and he was such a great leader because of his ability to relate to all the people that worked for him,” McKenna said. “I think that says a lot about what he was able to do as an individual before his career, and then it says a lot about how he never let it get to his head or anything, he was always very grounded and able to relate to people.”

McKenna said that though Carrigg led a busy life, he always found time for family.

“He was definitely devoted to his work and giving back to the community,” McKenna said. “But he still always took time to be around with us and he was definitely a huge part of our lives.”

Matt Carrigg, James’ grandson, said that above everything, his grandfather’s willingness to help the community stood out.

“Coming from the beginnings he had was remarkable,” Matt said. “That’ll always be an example of what hard work can do. He was a great man, he was just generous, generous with his time, generous with his money, he cared about the greater Binghamton area.”

According to McKenna, Carrigg’s work at the University has left its mark on the community.

“His work at the University has really stood out to me,” McKenna said. “What he meant to the community and the entire area — to lose him I think is very difficult for all of us.”

Carrigg is survived by his children, Patty Mangan and John Carrigg, and their families.