Photo provided A screenshot of MobilePatrol, an app which lists sex offenders, a police most-wanted list and inmates of Broome County Jail. The app is available for iPhones and Androids, and has been customized for Broome County by the Sherriff’s office and Appriss, Inc.

Binghamton University students can now feel safer Downtown by simply checking their phones.

The Broome County Sheriff’s department, in conjunction with Appriss, Inc., has released an app called MobilePatrol that lists inmates of the Broome County Jail, sex offenders in the county and a most-wanted list. This app works all around the country, but the Broome County Sheriff’s department worked with the company to make it accessible to those who live in Broome County.

David Harder, the Sheriff of Broome County, said that he was excited people could have access to this type of information so readily.

“What we hope that it achieves is that it’s speedy information to the public,” Harder said. “Otherwise, they have to go through a lot of different programs to get to that information; here it’s right there in the palm of their hands no matter where they are.”

The app is free and can be downloaded from the App Store for iPhones and Google Play for Android. Once downloaded, users sign in and set their location and can access the criminal records of those that are close to where the they live.

Inmates of the Broome County Jail and local sex offenders appear with information about their age, gender, height and weight as well as a headshot. Those who are reported to be within a user’s zip code appear with a red pin next to their name.

In addition to being able to see recent arrests and sex offenders on the app, users can report crimes or information on crimes through the Sheriff’s department’s Facebook page.

Harder said that he did not know how many people are currently using the app, but that it was already a success with numerous people calling in and reporting suspects through the Facebook feed that the app displays.

As for the effect on BU students, University Police Department Deputy Madeline Bay says she thinks MobilePatrol will help those living off campus most.

“I see it as more of a local thing, for the local community not so much for the BU people,” Bay said. “Unless you live off campus, then you can check out sex offenders in the neighborhood, or the most wanted section — that’s probably going to be the most dominant use for students.”

Beth Gordon, an undeclared sophomore, lives off campus in Johnson City. She said that the idea of having access to such detailed information has its downside.

“It could be positive and negative,” Gordon said. “It could freak people out who are sensitive to this kind of information, but I would feel safer in a sense knowing at least where the predators are and knowing the places to avoid.”

Harder said his office plans to increase the information users can see to give more knowledge about crime in the area at some point in the future. Currently, users have access to lists of inmates, sex offenders and missing children, but other counties that use the app offer information on warrants and child custody warrants.

Adam Neu, a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, currently lives on campus, but plans to move Downtown next year. He said he would download the app, and that he thinks it can positively affect the community in terms of people addressing crime in the area.

“I feel like at least knowing what’s going on in the area is very important,” Neu said. “If people see a lot more issues, they might feel more inclined to help those issues.”