Organizers of Mountainview College’s first-ever “Block Party” hope to add some bounce to Binghamton University’s Family Weekend.

Beginning at 1 p.m. tomorrow, Mountainview residents, as well as family members, will take part in horseplay with a moon bounce, an inflatable obstacle course and jousting arena, according to Emily Kusterbeck, the co-social vice president of Mountainview’s Cascade Hall.

Adding to the carnival-like atmosphere, the block party will feature free popcorn, cotton candy and make-your-own candy apple treats.

Ella Serrano, social vice president of Mountainview College and the Block Party’s main coordinator, said she hopes the block party will spark new traditions for the Mountainview community.

“When I ran for social vice president of Mountainview at the end of last year … my campaign stressed my desire to bring a sense of community back to Mountainview,” Serrano said. ” I hope to do this by planning events that will bring residents together and by starting new traditions that will make Mountainview a more fun and exciting place to live. I think the Mountainview Block Party fulfills both those qualities.”

Serrano said she has put a lot of time and effort into planning this event.

“Every day leading up to it, there has always been at least one thing I’ve had to do for the event,” she said. “A lot of time has gone into planning. But I wouldn’t expect it to be successful if I hadn’t put in as much as effort as I did.”

She added that the social vice presidents from each of Mountainview College’s four dorm buildings — Cascade, Hunter, Marcy and Windham — also put a lot of effort into helping plan for the block party since last month.

“As a group, we decided what novelties, food and music we wanted,” Serrano said.

Kusterbeck, a sophomore majoring in mathematical sciences, said she hopes the event will alter Mountainview’s closed-door reputation.

“It is our hope that Mountainview will become a closely knit community,” Kusterbeck said. “Mountainview has a reputation of being an anti-social community. However, through this event, we hope that the residents of Mountainview will become more social, outgoing and friendly with other residents.”

Mark Zakariya, vice president for finance of Mountainview College Council, said he too had high hopes for the block party.

“This is a very large-scale event, with a significant amount of funding and advertising,” said Zakariya.

Funding for the block party is coming from Mountainview College Council’s social budget, according to Kusterbeck.

“It was also requested that each hall provide additional money [from its hall budgets] for this event,” she said. “We will have lots of fun and exciting activities.”

Maria Pineiro, an undeclared freshman, said she is looking forward to participating.

“I love all of the Mountainview events that have been taking place, from King of the Mountain, to the date auction, to the hypnosis event,” Pineiro said.

Hannah Karp, co-social vice president of Hunter Hall and an undeclared sophomore, said she was confident the block party will strengthen community bonds.

“I believe it is an event that no one will want to miss,” Karp said. “Who doesn’t want to enjoy an obstacle course, cotton candy and music right outside his or her dorm?”

The block party is free for students and family.