Binghamton University is one of 55 schools with open Title IX sexual violence investigations, appearing on a list released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

According to the press release published by the OCR, the 55 schools are under investigation for possible violations of Title IX’s requirements surrounding sexual violence.

Title IX is a piece of the Education Amendments of 1972 that requires schools receiving federal funding to provide equal opportunities to women in all programs and activities.

Inclusion on the list does not mean that a university has violated the law, but rather is a reflection of the fact that a complaint has been filed with the OCR.

University spokesman Ryan Yarosh said in an email that the University is optimistic that the situation will be resolved.

“Binghamton University has been included because of an isolated complaint received by the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights,” he wrote. “We have responded to the complaint and the University is confident that the extensive documentation provided demonstrates that the actions of our campus were in full compliance with both the letter and intent of the law.”

Other schools under investigation include Harvard College, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and Princeton University. The list is updating regularly, according to the press release, and will be made available by the OCR upon request.