File photo Pictured is the American Civic Association building after the deadly 2009 shooting.

To mark the second anniversary of the April 3, 2009 shooting at Binghamton’s American Civic Association in which 14 lost their lives, the documentary film “Binghamton Heals: Surviving the Tragedy at the American Civic Association” was screened Sunday for the first time on the Binghamton University campus.

Two 90-minute film showings and panel discussions with producers took place in Lecture Hall 6. The event was sponsored by the BU College of Community and Public Affairs. CCPA dedicated the showings to the victims of the shooting, their families and first responders at the scene that day.

On April 3, 2009, Jiverly Wong, a naturalized citizen who had immigrated to the United States from Vietnam, entered the ACA, a community center that provides citizenship and language assistance to local immigrants. He shot and killed 13 people and wounded four others before taking his own life.

“Binghamton Heals” was a project started by co-producer Nancy Barno Reynolds, a Harpur College alumna and former Binghamton Art School director. Inspired by former students who had been at the ACA the day of the shooting, Reynolds and a team of volunteers conducted more than 30 interviews with police officers, ACA workers, victims’ families and survivors.

The documentary was completed in June 2010 and screened for the first time last year at the Binghamton Art Mission Theater.

“We had all these requests to screen it again, and we felt it was appropriate to do so at Binghamton University for those faculty and students who were not here in June to see it the first time,” said Jim Ehmke, news director at Binghamton television station WIVT and co-producer of the film. “We want to raise awareness of the impact this tragedy had on the lives of the individuals involved.”

The film focuses through interviews on people’s memories of the day of the shooting, the victims, the recovery process and the community response.

“The film is not about the shooter at all,” said Gloria DiFulvio, Harpur College alumna and co-producer. “It focuses on the voices of the survivors, responders and family members. The point of this film is to remember the event and those who lost their lives, and to help with healing for those who were involved. These events have a lasting impact. By remembering that day, we hope to show people that we care.”

For Elizabeth Hayes, an ESL instructor at the ACA, who is among the interviewees in “Binghamton Heals,” the film accomplished its goal.

“My story is my story,” Hayes said after her second time watching the film. “When you’re involved, it’s easy to feel your side of the story is the only one, but for me it’s good to hear all the other perspectives, all the different parts and aspects. When I think of how to describe this film, I think of the word powerful and I think of the word healing.”

All of the wounded and murdered students were in Hayes’ class, including the shooter. Hayes was absent the day of the shooting to celebrate her 40th wedding anniversary, and the woman filling in for her was killed.

Barno Reynolds said in addition to fostering healing, she hoped that the film showed the strength of the Binghamton community.

“Everyone here has a connection to that incident in some way, even if it’s just that you can remember where you were when you heard about it,” she said. “The whole point of this film is healing and showcasing how Binghamton came together in such a positive way.”

To honor those killed in the shooting, families of the victims are currently working to create and maintain a memorial park in the downtown Binghamton area. BU students and faculty wishing to donate can send a check directly to the ACA Memorial Fund or attend the International Food Fair from noon to 3 p.m. on April 30 in the Dickinson Amphitheater.

The International Food Fair, hosted by BU’s Center for Civic Engagement, is meant to showcase the cultural diversity in the Binghamton community. The admission fee is $5 and all proceeds will go directly to benefit the ACA Memorial Park Fund.