Daniel O'Connor/Photo Editor

Most Binghamton University students probably have no idea what Brian Rose, vice president for student affairs at Binghamton University, does on a daily basis. But his daily responsibilities have almost assuredly affected the lives of all BU students.

I spent two hours Wednesday afternoon shadowing Rose, sitting in on meetings with the staff he supervises, riding around campus in a white electric motorcart and taking a tour of the East Gym construction project.

I quickly learned that an administrator’s day is never-ending. Their schedules are packed with meetings, administrative duties and paper work. While this may not seem like very much fun, people like Rose also get to help coordinate huge University projects like major events and construction and leave their mark on this school.

Rose is responsible for overseeing anything and everything that has to do with student affairs. Six other administrators report to Rose every two weeks to tell him about the areas they oversee.

While I was in his office, Rose met with Terrence Webb, assistant vice president for student life. Webb oversees Residential Life, Campus Recreational Services, the University Unions and health and counseling services.

As part of their meeting, Rose and Webb discussed ResLife issues like predictions for occupancy predictions in future years. Their goal was to predict how many students will seek on-campus housing and determine how many students from each class year will live on campus.

Rose said BU needs to make a conscious effort to make on-campus living more appealing to upperclassmen, especially as private developers build more off-campus apartment complexes for students in coming years.

“Part of the effort of putting single bedroom options in the new Dickinson design is because we are hoping to get more juniors to stay on campus,” Rose said. “We’re not expecting to have all juniors stay on campus, but if we could move the number by 100, that would be making good progress.”

Rose and Webb also discussed problems with students walking to Health Services, when there is no set path because of nearby construction. Students walk in the streets to get there, which creates a safety concern, especially during the coming winter months.

Part of Rose’s duties also involve meeting frequently with Student Association President Katie Howard. Both act as liaisons between administration and students, and work together to address student complaints, upcoming projects and possible improvements to the University.

One of the most important meetings Rose has is with his secretary. They meet every week to go over his appointments and meetings. They talk about what he will be able to attend, if there are any conflicts and if things need to be added.

Rose and Webb eventually departed with me in tow to tour the East Gym to check on the progress of its renovation. The East Gym is scheduled to reopen on Jan. 28, 2012 and is now in the final stages of construction.

I guess it was my lucky day, because I not only got to ride in a Global Electric Motorcar (GEM cart), fulfilling a senior-year bucket list dream, but I also got to put on a hard hat and get a sneak peak of the new East Gym.

The gym has certainly been improved. Tour guides will no longer have to avoid mentions of the gym, and students will not have to be frustrated or embarrassed about the lack of recreational space available for students. Instead, we can brag about our newly renovated gym that will have 60 cardio machines — and two massage rooms.

I guess I chose the wrong year to graduate. By the time I come back to visit in five years, the school’s makeover will be complete, and Rose has had a hand in many of these projects.

Rose routinely visits all of the construction sites that have to do with areas he oversees. He said he has toured the East Gym three times now.

Rose is a busy guy. I never realized just how much background work is put into every aspect of my college experience by the administration, from my initial tour of the University to the day I walk across the stage to receive my diploma.