The CommuniKey, a company created by three Binghamton University alumni and one BU student, is offering BU students discounts at more than 40 local businesses on things ranging from pizza at Mario’s to legal consultations at Cornwell Law Offices.

The CommuniKey is co-owned by Dave Simel, Adam Sabol and Jimmy Orband, who all graduated from BU’s School of Management this spring, and Luke Forster, a senior majoring in marketing.

Orband said the group came up with the concept behind The CommuniKey last semester.

“We realized Binghamton doesn’t have a discount program for students, so we said let’s explore this and see if there are any opportunities here,” Orband said.

The four began to develop The CommuniKey this summer by researching the purchasing trends of college student populations and by surveying BU students about their store preferences.

Simel said The CommuniKey has sold 150 discount cards since the business began operating at the start of the fall semester. He said he hoped that as more people buy the card, The CommuniKey will be able to offer discounts to more businesses.

“It’s a big circle,” Simel said. “The more CommuniKeys we sell, the more leverage we have to get better discounts with businesses, and the more businesses that offer discounts, the more students that will buy CommuniKeys.”

Several businesses offering discounts through The CommuniKey said they have already seen customers use the card.

Keith Thomas, a co-owner of B.L.G.G’s Deli in University Plaza, said he has observed several students using the card in his deli. Thomas said he thinks the greatest impact of the card is that it makes students aware of the businesses that the Binghamton community offer.

“They know the college kid base, and they know what college kids need,” Thomas said.

The CommuniKey’s website states that the company aims to “promote the economic development of the Greater Binghamton area by encouraging students to patronize local businesses.”

To participate in the CommuniKey discount program, businesses pay a small annual fee. In exchange they receive a customizable profile on the The CommuniKey’s website.

Simel said most businesses he and his partners have dealt with have been “welcoming to the idea.”

However, not many BU students seem to know about The CommuniKey yet.

One of eight students interviewed for this article had heard of The CommuniKey previously. All eight, however, said they might be interested in The CommuniKey’s discount card after viewing information about it on The CommuniKey’s website.

“I already go to some of the places on the card, so having one would be very convenient,” said Melissa O’Connor, a senior majoring in psychology.

Orband said he hopes The CommuniKey can eventually expand to other nearby college towns such as Oswego or Oneonta. However, his said he and his partners’ present goal is to “get the word out [and] get students pumped for the savings.”